What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini Greenhouses and Nepenthes (Highland vs. Lowland)

Hey everyone, I am investing in one of those mini closet-style greenhouses for keeping some of my humidity loving plants happy during our dry winters. My house stays at about 63 at night and maybe 70 during the day. Summers are usually much hotter. Either way I know I can place it to where it will get plenty of sun. I was wondering what kinds of Nepenthes would be happy with these conditions? I am new to Nepenthes as well :p Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Intermediates, maybe some of the more tolerant highlanders would do well in those temperatures.

Thanks hcarlton! Any specific species or hybrids you would recommend? I am a sucker for unique pitcher morphology :p

Usually the hybrids are more resilient for new growers... All I have is an x 'griffin' that I got from Leilani Nepenthes last year and it's striving in highs of 75-77 with a night drop in the high 50's, under artificial lighting.

So hybrid vigor can play a major roll in success with Nepenthes?

Very much. the usual hybrids, x ventrata and Miranda, will do well for you, and I'd venture to say robcantleyi might as well. Other ventricosa x lowland or intermediate hybrids will do well, and I would venture to say sanguinea and ramispina species and hybrids might do alright.

Okay, I know we are talking about hybrids but I am falling in lust over N. vogelii... thoughts?

N. vogelii might work well, by altitude range it should be an intermediate-highlander and should be able to take generally cool conditions like that. If you can get temperatures at night to drop just below 60, then it would be all the better.

Good to know! What about N. jamban? That's another I am quite partial to :)

Have also heard it's a tolerant highlander. I've got seedlings right now, but I keep them in the same conditions as all my other highlanders out of fear of losing them, so I don't know their tolerance levels. Anybody else to chime in on that one?

Over the summer I got night temperatures around 63 or so for about a month and some of my jambans (also some other highland neps like inermis x talangensis) pouted such that they wouldn't pitcher for me. I think it would be best to have night temps just below 60 or so to ensure that these plants would be happy.

As it is though I think vogelii would be very happy there and probably robcantleyi too

Interesting... perhaps I will hold out on Jamban as it is far too impractical to keep my house cool enough for them in the summer months. No sense in killing such a wonderful plant. I think vogelii will be my first foray into the world of Nepenthes :) robcantleyi is rather striking as well! Time to purchase a greenhouse :)

Back