Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Beginners Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Beginners Nepenthes

Hi,
    I'm looking to growing one on a West windowsill. its a large windowsill so a large plant will be perfect.
    I'm wondering which Nepenthes species would do well in New Jersey climate? what is a good beginner's Nepenthes species which is super hardy?
    When I start shopping for a good plant, i do not know what species to look for.
    please help!
    thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't go wrong with Nepenthes ventrata. Practically impossible to kill. I have also had success with my N. wrigleyana, thought that may be harder to find. N. 'Miranda' is another good option if the window is warm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good choices to start with that are also fairly cheap and easy to find would be maxima, most maxima hybrids, x ventrata, ventricosa and x miranda.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those sound really cool, thanks for the suggestions! I'm guessing they can be grown in 100% peat moss and do not need fertilizing except in the beginning when pitcherless, and later a few bugs in the pitchers every once in a while, right?
    They need to be in moist peat moss from what i gather so i need to water frequently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes do not like peat moss in my experience, let alone 100%. Try Long-Fibered Sphagnum Moss, it's available at any Lowes or Home Depot. Either 100% or throw some perlite in the mix to break it up. For these easy Nepenthes, put them in a big pot with a saucer, and maybe some gravel on top of the media to slow evaporation. Water once a week or so to fill the saucer and you should be ok with the easier plants.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ventricosa is about as easy to grow as ventrata or miranda, but IMO, it is more beautiful and satisfying to grow as well. Can't go wrong...
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o right, sorry i did meant to say sphagnum moss, not it's processed equivalent , peat.
    i'll try sphangnum with perlite mix.

ventricosa looks reallly nice!

any good sources for ventricosa around here? where did you guys get yours?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet Andy has some in stock!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast