Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What after germination?

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From first appearance I can tell that the algae on the sphagnum could cause issues in the future. I used Physan 20 a few times to keep the algae at bay. How close is your lighting? Mine didn't even germinate until I moved a small 12" light a foot away from the soil surface (of course they were enclosed in a tubberware to keep the humidity high). As for repotting, I repotted my plants when they had roughly 5 pitchers. I probably would have been better off by waiting a little longer, but they weren't growing too fast in the sphagnum and they are now in a rocky media consisting of peat, laterite, and some perlite. This is where the most seedling deaths is to be expected to sort out the runts from the strong seedlings.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks hcarlton, you convinced me to try
    @lance, I wasn't aware that algae could be damaging and indeed I have plenty of them now. I may search for something to deal with them.
    For the lighting, they are in a clear spot, only natural light with sometimes the winter sun.
    Hopefully they get their next leaf soon, I'll post an update then

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Algae can be a serious problem, it tends to overwhelm seedlings, and produces toxin and other chemicals that can be dangerous. As lance said, Physan 20 works well, and doesn't seem to harm Nepenthes seedlings, though it can in high enough concentrations bleach out sphagnum.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12