Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Good growth but no pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good growth but no pitchers

I got three N. spathulata crosses about two months ago and have been growing them in a spare greenhouse at school. They have been growing well and have increased leaf size, but all of the pitchers have aborted. Conditions are full sun, day temps: 70-75, night temps 50-55, moderate humidity(probably somewhere between 50-60%). I think the problem may be the photoperiod. I live quite far north, and right now I only get 7 hours of daylight. Could this be the reason for my lack of pitchers?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGnum View Post
    I got three N. spathulata crosses about two months ago and have been growing them in a spare greenhouse at school. They have been growing well and have increased leaf size, but all of the pitchers have aborted. Conditions are full sun, day temps: 70-75, night temps 50-55, moderate humidity(probably somewhere between 50-60%). I think the problem may be the photoperiod. I live quite far north, and right now I only get 7 hours of daylight. Could this be the reason for my lack of pitchers?
    Yes. It could.
    New plants, change of environment recently (2 months barely gets a plant comfortable) and short days can easily lead to no pitchers syndrome. I find supplemental lighting can make a significant difference. Even so, you can expect that pitchering - if any happens at all between now and April - will be sparse and they won't be premium pitchers. Its simply the nature of growing Nepenthes in the winter using natural/available light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I spoke too soon. I just checked on my plants after getting back from Thanksgiving break. My N. spathulata x bongso and N. spathulata x (maxima x (tobaica x talangensis)) both have pitchers inflating.