What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good growth but no pitchers

I got three N. spathulata crosses about two months ago and have been growing them in a spare greenhouse at school. They have been growing well and have increased leaf size, but all of the pitchers have aborted. Conditions are full sun, day temps: 70-75, night temps 50-55, moderate humidity(probably somewhere between 50-60%). I think the problem may be the photoperiod. I live quite far north, and right now I only get 7 hours of daylight. Could this be the reason for my lack of pitchers?

I got three N. spathulata crosses about two months ago and have been growing them in a spare greenhouse at school. They have been growing well and have increased leaf size, but all of the pitchers have aborted. Conditions are full sun, day temps: 70-75, night temps 50-55, moderate humidity(probably somewhere between 50-60%). I think the problem may be the photoperiod. I live quite far north, and right now I only get 7 hours of daylight. Could this be the reason for my lack of pitchers?

Yes. It could.
New plants, change of environment recently (2 months barely gets a plant comfortable) and short days can easily lead to no pitchers syndrome. I find supplemental lighting can make a significant difference. Even so, you can expect that pitchering - if any happens at all between now and April - will be sparse and they won't be premium pitchers. Its simply the nature of growing Nepenthes in the winter using natural/available light.

I guess I spoke too soon. I just checked on my plants after getting back from Thanksgiving break. My N. spathulata x bongso and N. spathulata x (maxima x (tobaica x talangensis)) both have pitchers inflating.

Back