Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Lowii's plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the mira hybrid photos, red lowii, especially that last one of the Sabre & lowii x (ampullaria x mira), which really puts the difference into perspective. The internodes are indeed very short. Of course, lowii is not known for its long internodes, either

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j216/Heathcp/Exotica%20Collection/IMG_1096.jpg

whereas maxima is a strong climber, as is ampullaria, although most people don't let it grow out

http://www.borneoexotics.com/photos/...in_nursery.jpg

Perhaps the combined mira/lowii influence in both hybrids keeps the internode length in check. My hope is that mira will exert similar influence in primary hybrids, too. I like to grow plants to specimen size, and as an indoor grower, I'm discovering that specimen-sized vining plants can be a challenge. It would be nice to find plants that are more bush/shrub than vine at maturity, as your mira-brids are, although I know that non-vining Nepenthes are certainly the exception in this genus.

Your truncata x ephippiata is another good example of a non-vining plant, more or less, in addition to being an example of excellent growing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, isn't lowii x ventricosa the same as x Peter D'Amato? Or is that only applied to one plant? Nice hybrids, by the way. I didn't know ventricosa could make such large pitchers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Hmm, isn't lowii x ventricosa the same as x Peter D'Amato? Or is that only applied to one plant? Nice hybrids, by the way. I didn't know ventricosa could make such large pitchers.
    The name 'Peter D'Amato' applies to a single clone, selected and named as such. Yes, it came out of a cross between those two species, but the clonal designation 'Pete D'Amato' applies only to one specific selection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mikulas, you're spot on about lowii tightening up the gap between the nodes, I had a look at a N. maxima x mira plant the other day and as you would expect from a primary with maxima, it does have more stem between the internodes, i'll post a pic later in the week.

Tanukimo, x Peter D'Amato is not available on this side of the globe so i'm not 100% on the history of the plant, but from what I understand it is the reverse cross. So N. ventricosa x lowii and Peter D'Amato, briggsiana, Atlanta Giant are all cultivars from individual clones.

It might sound trivial switching the gender of the parents, but Lowii hybrids seem to be at their best and the characteristics come through a lot more when Lowii is the mommy. So from what I've seen the constricted waist and the buldge in the bottom of lowii x vent seems more pronounced compared to vent x lowii, but it is superficial difference.

So generally speaking a lot of the lowii traits, such as the super wide mouth are often lost when it is not the mother. The exception to the rule seems to be with a few number of F1 crosses. I've noticed wistuba's clone of veitchii x lowii

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9171/30631257.jpg

Has a nice size mouth, compared to BE's clone of veitchii x lowii

& ventricosa also obviously reacts really well with Lowii, even when ventricosa is used twice

And i've got a feeling it will react well with N. truncata in the more recent N. truncata-red x lowii cross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some young hopefuls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a few more hopefuls to the pile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. if you every have rooted cuttings Please let me know.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh fun. I love new seeds. What have you for cooking there Red??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cooking a few chickens JB, not counting them till they hatch though Here's the list of attempts:

(vent x truncata) x (maxima x mira)
    (vent x truncata) x rokko x veitchii H/L striped
    (vent x truncata) x curunculata x truncata
    (vent x truncata) x maxima x veitchii

{(tobaica x ovata) X veitchii} x {(low x veit) x bosch}
    {(tobaica x ovata) X veitchii} x maxima x veitchii

maxima x talangensis} x {(low x veit) x bosch}
    maxima x talangensis x maxima x veitchii

thorelii x spectabilis x {(low x veit) x bosch}

thorelii x aristo x {(low x veit) x bosch}

sabre x rokko x veitchii H/L striped
    sabre x {(spathulata x aristo) x (lowii x vent)}
    sabre x maxima x mira
    sabre x curunculata x truncata
    sabre x vent x spect
    sabre x spect x northiana
    sabre x sibu x aristo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small pitcher but very happy with how dark this one has become

Two clones of Lowii x Fusca, early days but one of them is particularly skinny and dark

2nd clone of N. Xplatychila with lowers

reverse combination of the two famous species putting on some size

and finally (l x v -yellow) x b

and a small (l x v -red) x b inflating