Informational! Informational!:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Lowii's plants

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never was successful in getting lids to stand properly. Of all the things I can't do (I can make bowls with walls less than an inch thick over 2 feet wide, I can make a 2 foot dragon with wings held erect, see the avatar, but not lids).
    That hybrid name doesn't sound familiar to me. I just sprouted seeds of 'Rokko' x (thorelii x aristo), and I have spectabilis x platychila, but not spec x (thorelii x aristo). Though I wish.....really wouldn't mid just having thorelii x aristo too.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Never was successful in getting lids to stand properly. Of all the things I can't do (I can make bowls with walls less than an inch thick over 2 feet wide, I can make a 2 foot dragon with wings held erect, see the avatar, but not lids).
    That hybrid name doesn't sound familiar to me. I just sprouted seeds of 'Rokko' x (thorelii x aristo), and I have spectabilis x platychila, but not spec x (thorelii x aristo). Though I wish.....really wouldn't mid just having thorelii x aristo too.
    Yeah i know what you mean the lid is a bit of a challenge, I basically just layered the lid as the clay was drying, if it's wet it will just sag down.

Does anyone have any exceptional males in flower at the moment? I've got a female vent x tm produces these sorts of pitchers:

50/50 split on the pro-seeds once they are ready

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exceptional? No, jus mixta and Miranda pollen...... you should see if you can find someone with like spectabilis pollen or other.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. lowii Mt-Kinabalu x (ampullaria x mira) mira-ish clone upper pitcher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgeous plants as usual, red lowii. You mentioned earlier that N. mira seems to dominate in its hybrids. In your mira hybrids, does it dominate only in pitcher morphology, or do the plants also exhibit mira's growth habit -- short internodes, no real vine to speak of, long tendrils. I know that mira has been observed to vine in the wild, but the largest cultivated specimens I've seen appear reluctant to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mikulas,

I'd say that's a pretty spot on observation about mira's influence extending to the leaves/internodes of the plant, to prove the point:

N. lowii Mt-Kinabalu x (ampullaria x mira) mira-ish clone

N. lowii Mt-Kinabalu x (ampullaria x mira) ampullaria-ish clone

With internodes like that there's little vining potential and also N. ampullaria is not exactly the best vining species, but..... same deal in another cross involving N. mira

N. lowii Mt-Kinabalu x (maxima x mira)

Another thing worth noting, is the relative deformity of the leaves themselves, Lowii no doubt is a contributer to this and naturally gives some of it's hybrids slight ripple/waveness, particularly when multiple parents have this trait ( eg N. lowii x truncata), but i had not witnessed it to this extent in other lowii hybrids and I believe it's N. mira that's the main culprit.

And finally to sum up, a few years ago when I received the two clones of N. lowii Mt-Kinabalu x (ampullaria x mira)
    I put both plants in the one large pot and a small cutting of N. Sabre (approximately the same size). So after around 2/3 years growth, it's easy to see the difference. N. Sable on the left & the two clones of N. lowii Mt-Kinabalu x (ampullaria x mira) at the back and right of the pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)