Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Lowii's plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Greg! I think you'd be able to find one actually, your So Cal neighbor Joel recreated the hybrid, I believe using the same eymae that Ep did, but BE's TM. I've seen a few pics of them floating about the forums, so i'm sure it's withing reach.

There's also {Eymae x (steno x lowii)} x tm, and it's looking amazing from the pics i've seen on the forums.

The domed lid trait i only noticed recently, i've got uppers on 2/5 clones of the dark versions of the cross sitting in one large pot and they are the ones you saw pics of, the other 3 still haven't quite rid themselves of their wings, but they are close, so i'll have to report back on that in the future.

The 'yellow' clone also does seem to dome up a bit looking at it now, but the lid is not as woody as on the darker clones

Thanks Lance, yes i grow them outside, unfortunately sydney doesnt have tropical weather, they call it temperate, it's quite similar to the weather you get in coastal parts of California, so the winters are not ideal, i used to leave them outdoors all year round, but i would lose about 3 months of growth during winter, so now i try and squeeze as many of them as i can into a kind of makeshift cheap greenhouse that i bought off ebay a few years back. It's on it's last legs after last winter, you get what you pay for! But it does the trick and the temps rise just enough to keep them slowly moving along, they do slow down considerably, but it's better than no growth at all.

I think the trick to growing the plants outdoors, whether here or California, is to give them large pots, through experimenting over a few years i found the larger the pot the less chance of the media drying out, i encourage ferns to grow inside the pots too, they stop the media from compacting and also i mist the plants every other day and flush the roots with a hose. I also play the perpetual game of rearranging the pots to take advantage of sun angles and meeting each plants particular preference for conditions, eg ventricosa (c) or porcelain form has to be kept in the back and shady or the leaves will yellow and it woent pitcher, where as say lowii x truncata i can just grow in almost sun and the leaves never seem toburn.

Thanks KNepenthe & limeslide! I'll try keep em going...

newest pitcher on vent x tm

Finally got some uppers on that flared clone of truncata x ovata, lost a bit of color but retained the flaring

I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in love with that truncata X ovata! Your new assignment is to post a minimum of 5 pictures every day so we can all have this eye candy at a steady rate

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's fantastic. Love the truncata x ovata!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Infundibular delights!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KNepenthe View Post
    Your new assignment is to post a minimum of 5 pictures every day so we can all have this eye candy at a steady rate
    I second this. I really like the N. lowii x. campy. Really impressive! So many pitchers!

One day, I'll have a better camera and plants big enough to produce pitchers worth photographing as frequently as you. Somehow, I just don't think my N. x ventrata or amp. 'Red' x 'Harlequin' is gonna cut it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone, here's a few updates...

N. Truncata x Ephippiata just opening up, like the coloration on the back of the peristome

A basal on that N. Truncata x Ovata

Three amigos, all roughly the same age, interesting how the more standard truncata is lacking the wings relative to Truncata D from EP

Freshly opened and was hiding among some ferns

N. xPlatychila, can't quite get the peristome to the 2cm mark

Squat clone 2

Squat clone 1

Intermediate pitcher on N. Lowii x Spect colored up

and the upper...
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That last pitcher is incredible. As they all are.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing Plants, as always. I'm especially envious of the N. platychila. I have one from seed and another tc clone, but both
    look nothing like yours. (They are probably hybrids.) Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by killerplantsguy; 01-31-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *whistles at that lowii x spectabilis*.. I just read an email saying one of those came in from EP with my name on it, and I couldn't be happier after seeing that post! That lowii x truncata has got to be one of the best I've seen too! Absolutely amazing Marc!
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome plants as usual! You have good taste
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast