Likes Likes:  12
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Lowii's plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dexenthes!

Thanks killerplantsguy, i'm not certain if mine is the species, I have two plants and the leaves on the other look quite different, it's still a few leaves short of intermediate/uppers, will be interesting to compare the two in 1/2 a years time. You've got no shortage of plants that I equally am envious of.... villosa, edwarsiana, hamata, macrophylla, ephippiata about 30 hamata clones including hairy! do i need to go on? Like yourself i used to have lowii x aristo, probably the same clone, but the cutting I got was quite weak/unestablished and the summer unfortunately cooked it, hard one to get a hold of

That's great news Greg, if it's coming directly from Ep, it's likely to be a big plant as they've had these for about 4/5years now, prob will be vining already.

Thanks divaskid! I'm envious of your hawaiian "winters"
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New pitcher on the same plant as the POTM entry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lowii View Post
    Thanks Dexenthes!

Like yourself i used to have lowii x aristo, probably the same clone, but the cutting I got was quite weak/unestablished and the summer unfortunately cooked it, hard one to get a hold of
    Someone on this forum, or the pitcherplants.proboards.com one had a lowii x aristo they were trying to get rid of. I think it was in Australia, too. you might check around to see if you can find the entry. I don't recall where I saw it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BLAM! Thats looks like Pygo's lowii x bosch (My favorite example of that cross) mixed with everything veitchii should lend to a hybrid! Awesome!
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very striking - great color!

Regarding N. platychila, I'm trying the Wistuba clone. It's about the size of a dime, so upper pitchers are far in the future. (Hope I'm still around)

The N. lowii x aristolochioides has beautiful lower pitchers, but like most aristo hybrids, it vines really quickly.

Keep up the good work,
    Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks NatchGreyes, I think the source of the cutting that i had is probably the same that posted on the forum, was kinda hoping Exotica will eventually cut their plant, probably a long wait ahead

Thanks Greg, it is a promising clone, one of the other clones I have hit uppers a while ago, but the pitchers are a bit on the pale side, hoping this one might turn out a bit like Melson's clone that he posted on proboards and yes i remember really well seeing pics of pygo's lowii x bosch when it had just produced those intermediate/upper pitchers, jaw dropper

I wonder who has the plant now and what the true uppers ended up looking like. Judging by the pics i've seen of EP's plants, the body of the pitcher as is characteristic with many lowii hybrids goes a bit green.

Thanks killerplantsguy, ohhh man it's going to be painful watching that wistuba clone grow, the two BE clones I bought were 5inches in diameter and 3inches tall when I received them and still it took another 3 years to get them to uppers, but once they start vining they really pick up the pace, the larger of the two plants went from 7inches in stem height to 3 feet in just one year.
    I had seen pics of two of wistuba's clone's and they didn't look quite right, the peristome was a bit rippled/raffled. I think either we accept that the species has a lot of variability in it or we might have to conclude that almost no one has the species in cultivation, few if any of the plants posted on forums seem to match the description exactly (have read it and can send copy if anyone interested).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 3rd pic (N. platychila) looks pretty darn good, to me. Much nicer than the uppers on the two plants I'm growing.
    Do they fade fairly quickly? The uppers on my platychilas (?) don't last very long, and Peter D'Amato made the same observation in
    the new edition of The Savage Garden.

The N. robcantleyi is a beaut!

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by killerplantsguy; 02-06-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: typo
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Paul, that's an accurate observation, the pitchers certainly don't last long. The very first upper i had on this plant faded in just over a week and then the top shriveled up and the lower half is still alive on the plant today. The 2nd last pitcher it has produced has been hanging on, it's about a month old, but it certainly looks quite aged/color faded. Another observation that a south american grower made, is the incredible amount the aerial pitchers catch. http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/thread/9738

This obviously only works if the pitcher is exposed to the elements or if someone's greenhouse if full of aerial insects, but this phenomenon occrued to my plant too, the second last pitcher(still alive) after two weeks was just completely clogged with wasp and fly carcases, I actually had to pour water into the pitcher just to dilute it and try stop it from rotting. I think this may be a contributing factor for why they are rather short lived.

This pic was taken one/two days after the pitcher fully opened, the entire interior is just black now, i'll have to take another pic before it shrivels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's incredible! I hadn't previously heard that that species (and the others mentioned in the proboards thread) are so attractive to flies and wasps. Definitely something to look forward to once I get hold of a jamban and grow it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two N. xPlatychila pitchers, about 5/6weeks apart. Color has faded a fair bit on the older pitcher, but you can see the dark contents that lay within, it's almost 1/2 full.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast