What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes edwardsiana or hamata ?

dont have any personal experience but i have also heard eddy is easier to grow. far as which one? whichever you like better i would assume.

Hmmm... Interesting.

I guess it depends from plant to plant as well. The Wistuba clones are renound for being slow growing and finicky, but then I was just told stories of a clone that someone grows of N. hamata that is supposedly "as vigorous as ventricosa". Soooo... Get your hands on one of those!

Last month i received a baby hamata from wistuba, and i have already 2 new leaves, and 2 tiny pitchers growing, its very vigourous, at least for now. Maybe the plant will slow down with age.

I always hear that hamata is fragile until it's large enough to start vining. By that point it's hard to kill.

Hmmm... Interesting.

I guess it depends from plant to plant as well. The Wistuba clones are renound for being slow growing and finicky, but then I was just told stories of a clone that someone grows of N. hamata that is supposedly "as vigorous as ventricosa". Soooo... Get your hands on one of those!

Probably the new BE clone, #3495. It's easily as vigorous as my seed grown hamatas. I don't know about it being as vigorous as ventricosa but, as far as hamata goes it's ahead of the pack for sure.

i do not grow an eddy but do have an AW hamata ,all my neps are grown in what would be considered poor conditions,humidity as low as 38% but usually around 50%,my neps are grown open to my house environment so far from ideal,the plant when it arrived less than an inch across and one year later exactly i am pleased with the growth ,with better conditions i would imagine much better growth would be achieved ,if eddy's grow this fast in poor conditions this thread is gonna cost me money:-D

I always hear that hamata is fragile until it's large enough to start vining. By that point it's hard to kill.
This has not been my experience. I received my two AW clones when they were less than 2" across (& w/o any roots). They both grew like weeds from day one. A SG clone I received in the past 2 years has grown similarly. Unlike other species, the plants have also pitchered in all conditions (lowers). When they start to vine, they become pickier and pitcher only when they are in a really good mood...

A toothy peristome does not make hamata a difficult species. I've experienced six different clones and they're all similarly easy to cultivate, much easier than any of the true ventricosa clones I grow. Unlike some of the toothy prima donnas of Borneo, warm temperatures or a lack of high humidity will not hurt the plant in the long run, as it seems to acclimate well.

As for the Wistuba clones being more difficult, I think this is simply a case of people having difficulty acclimating plants.

I've always found Nepenthes hamata easy to grow, as well. Regarding the production
of upper pitchers (at least in my conditions), if the tendril has a trellis or some other support to "grab",
pitchers will form. No support = no pitchers.

Cheers,
KPG

Edit

Last edited:
Just wanted to share this - a new intermediate hamata pitcher:
20140103-110217.jpg

In case you were still struggling with your choice ;-)

im wordless.

If i need advices for my hamata, i will PM you for sure :0o:

Take advice from Paul on all genera. He's got the greenest thumb I've ever seen!

Guys, nepenthes eddy is no longer sold out. On myrmephytum.de (wistuba.com is dead) you can order one, but you must act very fast.

BUT, hamata is still number one nepenthes for me :p (you can order one from the same website) !

Francois

They are both spectacular species but there really is no contest... lets just says size maters!

This pitcher was over 20inches.
34-1-DSC_3077.JPG

Although I will say under limited space N. hamata does shine. The number living pitchers on one plant is always stunning.
2007-11-30_rajah_hamata_tenuis%20(55).jpg

-Jeremiah-

Nice pictures!
From all the forums i posted the question, its 9 vs 5 for the hamata !

This hamata pitcher is stunning !

Nepenthes hamata par Jakub Mazanec, sur Flickr

Last edited:
I know its a noob question, what is the perfect light for a hamata? I have a n.hamata clone 1 from wistuba and under a single 56w, 48inches 5600k T5 tube, all the leaves now have a reddish color. I also noticed that the new leaves are always smaller and smaller...

Francois

Last edited:
Maiden, how is the plants health overall? Is it pitchering? Smaller and smaller leaves makes me think your temps could be too warm for N. hamata. The leaves should be bigger each time, even if they are under bright light, my N. hamatas are under 220W T5 lights and they are red but not getting smaller.

In situations where HL Neps are too warm the new leaves will be smaller each time until the growing point is non existent. It is entirely reversible if you can provide the cooler day and night temps you need to remedy this condition.

Last edited:
I agree with swords completely. Perhaps you could raise the light a few centimeters to help cool it off, and the red "tan" should start to fade, if that's what you want.

Back