Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N. ventricosa x robcantleyi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My seed-grown N. ventricosa X robcantleyi was a homely thug of a thing; graceless, nearly colorless, and with few redeeming features. It seemed to have collated and expressed all of the least desirable features of each species. I wasted no time in finding it a new home. (Greg has it now, and I think he likes it well enough. It just wasn't to my liking. YMMV)

Because of this experience - like Marc - I'm not going to be buying any more robcantleyi hybrids unless I am buying a specific clone selected for outstanding traits. I have two plants of N. maxima X robcantleyi as well, and I can't say that either (they are both quite distinct) is particularly attractive; I expect I will be looking to find homes for one or both within the year. Mind you, the maxima cross is far more attractive than the ventricosa cross was, IMO.

Addendum: this is my ventricosa X robcantleyi seedling, a few months after I received it:
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2012/05/20120506-072554.jpg[/IMG]

A pallid, ill-defined pitcher that grew more homely as it grew larger. Sometimes ventricosa can bring out remarkable beauty in its progeny, and sometimes it just washes out all the character of the other parent.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 12-31-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Acurite, you are correct in that the clones should be universal in appearance.

Whimgrinder, and others, do you happen to have photos of these crosses? I'd be interested in seeing them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See above: N. ventricosa X robcantleyi. I haven't bothered to photograph the maxima cross yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooph, yeah, I can see why you traded that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like the picture you posted above. I still just have no idea where to actually purchase a specimen of BE 3407, anyways. What I still wanna know where I could get one in N. America, without the 200-someodd dollars in fees.
    If Swiss Cheese has holes, and more holes=less cheese, and more cheese=more holes, does that mean that more cheese=less cheese?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to get a vent x robc (be-3407) from California Carnivores but that was back in July. I'm not sure if they still have any. You should shoot them an email.
    "You cannot find peace by avoiding life."
    Grow List (04.26.2015)
    Artsy Things I Do

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Acurite View Post
    I personally like the picture you posted above. I still just have no idea where to actually purchase a specimen of BE 3407, anyways. What I still wanna know where I could get one in N. America, without the 200-someodd dollars in fees.
    I suspect if you are willing to wait and occasionally refresh this thread, someone will offer up their plant in trade. I know I'm not the only one who has expressed disappointment in this hybrid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a couple of robc hybrids here http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/t...crollTo=100409 a nice size vent x robc too

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast