What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artificial lighting timing

I was wondering if I can have the lights be on for several hours and off for one hour and come back on for several more hours, maybe repeating this for about 3 times before the lights go off for the night.
Will this effect photosynthesis greatly?
Mainly I want to cut cost of electricity bill.

I don't think it would be a good idea to have the lights going on and off like that all day. It seems unnatural to me, might mess the plants up... I don't really know though. You can try it and see how you plants respond, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this in the past. What kind of lights do you use that take up all this power?

Unless you are using a lot of really high wattage bulbs or something that is generating a lot of heat that your AC is then cooling you may not be burning at much cash as you think. I know I'm paying about $.10 per KW/hr. Basically that means I can run a 100W bulb for 10 hours a day for $.10, so 2 T5 HO 48" bulbs cost me around $.15 a day to run. Anytime my cental air/heat kicks on I burn more than the entire day of running costs for those 2 bulbs.

I would figure out the math first and see if its worth the savings, you should be able to easily get your KW/hr rate off your electric bill and do some rough math to get a ballpark estimate.

Well it's just ten 26w bulbs but since I am a very cheap person I like to trim things here and there.
I know with aquatic plants doing the on/off thing is possible, but I don't know if it is for Nepenthes.

Well it's just ten 26w bulbs but since I am a very cheap person I like to trim things here and there.
I know with aquatic plants doing the on/off thing is possible, but I don't know if it is for Nepenthes.

If you ran the lights for 10 hours a day that would be approximately equal to 2.6 kWh per day which, according to the residential average cost/kWh in October 2013 would cost you about $0.32 cents every day and about $115 per year. Another option for you could be to for, say, the first and last hour of the photoperiod have half the lights on simulating dawn/dusk. This would cost you an average of $0.28 per day and save you about $10 per year.

I do have some of mine on a dawn/dusk thing and have never seen any positive or negative effects.

There is always secret options #C, if you have a Ceph (or similar overpriced easy to grow plant) take a few leaf pull every year and make them pay for your extra electric bill. Its about time some of those pricey lazy plants started pulling there own weight imo.

during the summer i have my lights turn off for around 2 hours during the hottest part of the day. i do this so that the terrariums cool a bit. i see no negative side effects.

I think that the fluorescent bulbs might burn out faster, so it may not be cost effective in the long run.

Why not just cut the total amount of time the bulbs are on from the beginning/end of cycle, since switching them on and off is (for many kinds of bulbs) the most stressful part of their cycle?

Back