What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month January 2014

Vote for the top 3 best!

• Red Lowii - N. (lowii x veitchii) x (truncata x (spectabilis x northiana))

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • catrus - N. possible NOID

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • duzu - N. maxima

• carbonetc - N. merrilliana x xtrusmadiensis

• Jasper Knight - N. pitopangii

• dueoka - N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x merrilliana

• mass - N. hamata

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Favian - N. burbidgeae x platychila

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • RL7836 - N. aristolochioides

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • tysneps - N. lowii x veitchii

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Whimgrinder - N. xtrusmadiensis

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • corky - N. singalana

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • killerplantsguy - N. spectabilis x mira

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N. hamata

Last edited:
That is beautiful!

n. burbidgeae x platychila

Omigod - amazing entries everyone! Now for something simple - iPhone pic of N. aristolochioides upper (male plant)

Never seen an aristo upper before, that's pretty cool. What kind of conditions, lighting, etc. is it growing in?

Nice growing, Ron. I almost lost the papa plant. I'm starting over from a tiny growth point.

I love how the lid of the aristolochioides looks like it fits perfectly with the pitcher. It's almost like someone opened up that part of the pitcher. It would be interesting to know whether or not the lid blends in with the rest of the pitcher until it opens.

What kind of conditions, lighting, etc. is it growing in?
Except for a few 'experiments' on a windowsill & another few in an upstairs tank, 98% of my plants live in the basement in tanks. Most are under T-5's but there are still a few under T-8's. Summer temps can reach the low 80's inside some tanks but usually mid to upper 70's. Winter - upper 60's to low 70's although with this crazy polar weather, they're lucky to see middle 60's. Nights usually see a 6-12*F drop.

I almost lost the papa plant. I'm starting over from a tiny growth point.
I also have this very real fear. The vine keeps growing but is extremely skinny & the leaves turn brown quicker than I would expect. The plant had a 'Y' in the vine when I received it. I took one side as a cutting but it didn't take. I suspect that when it crashes, it will be gone. My female plant has a thicker vine and produced a number of basal shoots when the vine crashed - but it didn't have the nasty wooden vine this one has. I keep meaning to start a thread for advice...

A favorite: N. lowii x veitchii

I also have this very real fear. The vine keeps growing but is extremely skinny & the leaves turn brown quicker than I would expect. The plant had a 'Y' in the vine when I received it. I took one side as a cutting but it didn't take. I suspect that when it crashes, it will be gone. My female plant has a thicker vine and produced a number of basal shoots when the vine crashed - but it didn't have the nasty wooden vine this one has. I keep meaning to start a thread for advice...

Do you give your plant fertilizer? If your plant has a well developed root system, some nutrients, good temperatures and strong light, there is no reason it shouldn't be strong and able to make new shoots (unless you have a weak clone). You shouldn't have to worry about the loss of one shoot killing the plant.

N. x Trusmadiensis, Borneo Exotics #2:
trusmadiensis-jan-28-14.jpg

trusmadiensis2-jan-28-14.jpg

Ahhh pure perfection Paul!

Do you give your plant fertilizer? If your plant has a well developed root system, some nutrients, good temperatures and strong light, there is no reason it shouldn't be strong and able to make new shoots (unless you have a weak clone). You shouldn't have to worry about the loss of one shoot killing the plant.
This is a cutting from a SG plant. If there are no inactive nodes below the surface & the above-surface woody vine collapses - where would new growth come from? :scratch:

This is a cutting from a SG plant. If there are no inactive nodes below the surface & the above-surface woody vine collapses - where would new growth come from? :scratch:

Lateral buds aren't the only places new growth arises from. True basal shoots originate from the rhizome. A well developed root system will allow for more basals.

N.singalana

Great entry corky! very toothy! nicely grown and great photo!

I really like the close-up of the peristome coming together at the top. I always thought the peristomes of most Nepenthes were smooth, except for ones like hamate, villosa, and edwardsiana. It's also interesting how the coloring for the top and bottom of the pitcher is really different.

oh good Lord.. whole lotta toothy goodness this month.
Gorgeous start to the new year!

Great entry corky! very toothy! nicely grown and great photo!
thank you,i like the back lighting in the last pic ,quite Redlowii esque :-D
I really like the close-up of the peristome coming together at the top. I always thought the peristomes of most Nepenthes were smooth, except for ones like hamate, villosa, and edwardsiana. It's also interesting how the coloring for the top and bottom of the pitcher is really different.
singalana is pretty toothy yes,so is my spathulata and most would not think it as been a toothy species

Back