What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scale Treatment

Hey Everyone:

I acquired a Nep. from a nursery that shall remain unnamed, which, apparently, carried what I believe to be scale (please see photo below to confirm). My first attempt at treating it, cutting off infected leaves and scraping off the bug, didn't work. So, I need to upgrade to pesticide. I checked the Savage Garden, which seemed to recommend several, but I figured I'd ask here first.

153wt40.jpg

Note, the offending insect is on the stem, near the base, in the photo.

That appears to be Boisduval Scale, a persistent, nasty pest, but not impossible to get rid of. You have to use a systemic, though, and you will need to reapply it at least twice (preferably 3X) to eradicate Scale. (I had this problem on some Cattleyas a while back, and it took persistence to get rid of it) Ortho used to make an emulsified formula of Acephate that was very effective (Orthene), but I believe they no longer manufacture it. I know people have used Imidacloprid for tough insect problems on Nepenthes, and a couple of seasoned pro growers have suggested Talstar One as the ideal treatment for difficult insect problems.

Boisduval scale is nasty. Unless you use a systemic and apply it 2-3 times, you will chase these insects with an alcohol-soaked Q-tip for years and never be rid of them. Be proactive!

How can you really be sure that plants are infected with scale? What signs should you look for (wondering about my plants)?

If you go with the Acephate, be aware that it is a dangerous material to handle (read the precautions!) and should NOT be applied indoors. (Take plants out into an open air space for treatment, if possible) Orthene is one of the most foul-smelling insecticides I've encountered - you don't want to bring that stink into the house. If thats a problem, choose something else.

One of my plants had scale pretty bad, but luckily it never spread to the plants around it (even the ones it was touching for months and months). I took it out of the greenhouse, cut off the infected leaves as close to the nodes as possible (they were in the crevices where the nodes were) and then wiped the entire thing down very roughly with wet paper towels. After that, I sprayed the plant with Bayer Advanced Rose & Flower Insect Killer (which I use for all my CPs when I see anything resembling pests, and it works without any noticeable side effects) and then I put it back in the greenhouse. This is the second treatment and I haven't seen any on since then, but I'm likely going to treat it again.

The Bayer Advanced should also be sprayed outdoors, but it doesn't smell bad (it just has a strong waxy smell to me, which goes away after a few hours). It works for mealies too.

How can you really be sure that plants are infected with scale? What signs should you look for (wondering about my plants)?

You actually have a good point... I can't see anything in the picture the OP posted. Scale is usually very obvious. On my Nepenthes, there were large clusters of the little males with females scattered about the plant. They were very visible and easy to see. I found this image that might help...

Boisduval.jpg

They also don't move very much... Honestly, I didn't see anything adverse effects on the infect plant I have. There are really no signs other than the plant itself. I've actually never seen any adverse effects on my Nepenthes when they have bugs, but if the infestation is large enough, you may see some signs of damage. To me, bugs are just an eye sore. They've never actually gotten so out of hand for me that they caused damage.

One of my plants had scale pretty bad, but luckily it never spread to the plants around it (even the ones it was touching for months and months). I took it out of the greenhouse, cut off the infected leaves as close to the nodes as possible (they were in the crevices where the nodes were) and then wiped the entire thing down very roughly with wet paper towels. After that, I sprayed the plant with Bayer Advanced Rose & Flower Insect Killer (which I use for all my CPs when I see anything resembling pests, and it works without any noticeable side effects) and then I put it back in the greenhouse. This is the second treatment and I haven't seen any on since then, but I'm likely going to treat it again.
They also don't move very much... Honestly, I didn't see anything adverse effects on the infect plant I have. There are really no signs other than the plant itself. I've actually never seen any adverse effects on my Nepenthes when they have bugs, but if the infestation is large enough, you may see some signs of damage. To me, bugs are just an eye sore. They've never actually gotten so out of hand for me that they caused damage.

There is one very readily seen scale armor on the stem, above the two leaves that are at soil level and before the first leaf attached above soil level. There also appear to be two (or more) smaller insects on the lamina of that same leaf, in the upper right corner of the photo.

Scale has the ability to cause some significant damage to Nepenthes once you have more than one or two insects on the plant. The damage may not be conspicuous as discolored, pock-marked leaves, or necrotic tissue/lesions - it may take the form of premature senescence of pitchers and foliage. Scale is insidious, and not a pest you want to take casually inside a confined greenhouse or tank space. Plants coming in direct from Hawaii can have Snowy Hibiscus Scale hitchhiking in crevices and under leaves, and buyers would be well-advised to quarantine imports before allowing them to come in contact with their other plants. (Of course, we should all quarantine any new arrivals, at least long enough to determine whether they are bringing unwanted "friends" with them) That Hawaiian Hibiscus scale is particularly noxious - not something you ever want to contend with.

Be aware that many states have banned the use of organo-phosphate pesticides including NY, CA, and HI. Shipping acephate to these states is restricted. The vendor selling this makes no mention of this on Amazon or their own website. Either they are shipping this product in violation of state and federal laws or you'll get a notice that they can't ship to your state (as the case may be).

Insectcidal soaps are very effective on scale insects. There are a few that are safe to use on Nepenthes and Sarracenia however I do not know which. Make some queries on other CP forums.

Back