Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bye bye my hamata friend...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RL7836: I totally agree, many growers on this forum and other resources are incredibly generous with their knowledge and plants, but MurphysLaw has a point. I think it would be really cool to have something like a stackoverflow of CP care, where users can share their experiences at one source and the community can chose the best answers to common cultivation problems. Many deaths of expensive plants are caused by newbies lacking knowledge, but the presentation of the info could be more user friendly. It's much easier for a newbie to go to the hamata (or better yet highland nepenthes) care page than to search through a multitude of threads or ask more experienced growers in an new and unfamiliar community.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Murphy -

Everyone's got their own personality on the internet and sometimes silence or terse responses are really just a reflection of how busy someone may be or what their other priorities in life may be. It just might not be the forums. . .

On the other hand when I (we) lose another really expensive plant that we loved dearly and we thought we did all we could for, it's not uncommon to want to lash out and say, "why don't all you jerks who successfully grow this plant tell me how to do it!!?" The thing is Nepenthes are just very particular and unusual plants and even the most experienced of growers may not necessarily be able to explain to you how to grow a specific species or how to get a Nepenthes to flower, or how to stimulate upper pitcher growth or whatever, etc etc.

As you have unfortunately found, climate plays a huge role in whether we will be able to grow a plant successfully. Some people find growing hamatas on windowsills easy, others have them just sitting in their green house, others yet have air conditioned basement plant caves that never see the actual elements of nature. Whatever the case is, climate dictates how we will be able to successfully grow these plants. The less like their native tropical mountains our homes are, the more work, electricity and effort we will have to use in order to make them happy.

TLDR: I feel you, it's normal to feel that way. But as Ron said, there ARE loads of super cool pros on this website and others. After a little while you may just find yourself on the receiving end of their generosity and it will be awesome.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
    I have asked other growers that appear to be growing them, but I either get no response, or, research it yourself, or "ask me after you have been growing these plants for 20 years
    I have never, ever had anyone from this (or any other) CP group treat me in this manner; people have been - without exception - free with their knowledge and courteous and patient when I have sought help or suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I have never, ever had anyone from this (or any other) CP group treat me in this manner; people have been - without exception - free with their knowledge and courteous and patient when I have sought help or suggestions.
    My experience has been the same. Even as a new comer to this site, I PM'd some members here for information and they have spent the time and given me more info than I asked for. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I believe some are getting TOO worked up over that comment. I never said it was on this forum, did I! But there was another forum where someone did that when a member asked a question about how to grow a specific plant.

I will say this, I did in the past ask and got the following:
    I have been questioned about my expertise and after I provided it, the replies stopped on the thread,.. what does that say!

But, this thread has been helpful. The tid-bits of info relied on this thread about “you know you are losing your plant when”: when you suddenly see multiple growth points, the new leaves are getting smaller. Etc. is exactly what I mean about a helpful guide to growing these plants.
    Last edited by MurphysLaw; 01-16-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    When all else fails, read the instructions!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123