Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye my hamata friend...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bye bye my hamata friend...

I might have posted some pictures of one of my hamata's early last spring looking all wicked and mean. It responded well to moving into a moss bottomed aquarium with a lid in an unheated room at night but by late May the nights weren't doing the job well enough. I ordered a Magic Chef wine cooler and by the time it arrived just 5 days later the plant had stopped growing and the base of the top leaves began turning black. I removed it from the container and media and the roots were gone so I dipped it into hormone powder and stuck it into new NZS in a mini greenhouse and right into the cooler each night but it never recovered. The same thing happened to my mac so it was a double whammy. I have another with a 1 inch leaf span that never really took off and even though it received the correct conditions all summer just sat there looking like plastic until about October. Suddenly the leaves took on a nice sheen and new growth started piling on with 4 new generations of leaves going all the time. At first I thought it had branched with all the new growth but it's still the single growth tip. Almost like it went into neutral in April and came out six months later. Here is the late great dead hamata I miss so much :

........here is the other one looking hopeful:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy how they are solid green with no purple pattern at all, mine had pattens right away. Are these seed grown, is your light dim or old?

A lot of leaves growing at once is a sign that your temps are not cool enough, notice how each new leaf is smaller than the last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it the same time as the other one and they were both green up until they aged a bit. Plenty of light, 4 T5 cool white tubes supplemented by a 2' x 8' skylight. Night temps are upper 40's in the wine cooler or unheated room and day upper 70's in the bathroom / greenhouse. Three Sunpent SU-2020 ultrasonic humidifiers gunning as much humidity as I need to about 85%. Everything is good and all of those new leaves will expand to be larger than the previous ones. This is exactly what the other one did in late winter last year and grew by leaps and bounds to reach the size in the first pictures. I forgot to mention that I fertilized with orchid fert a couple of weeks ago which could account for the multiple new leaves. I will post a new picture update every couple of weeks as it develops. It's the same story with the villosa only as expected a much slower grower.
    Thanks for the response.

villosa: Things got a little too warm in August before I moved it to an aquarium situation and caused the yellowing pitchers on the older foliage. Within a month or so of going back and forth from aquarium to wine cooler at night the new growth took off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you figure out what exactly caused the sudden collapse of the plants once they moved into the cooler? It had to be something about the cooler, since their collapse happened so fast (5 days!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cooler wasn't the problem, it was the sudden burst of warmth from mother nature rendering the unheated room at night useless. Had the cooler arrived sooner it would have been business as usual. I don't know why I didn't think to stick it into the fridge....duh, but I lost a really cool plant. A set-up that relies on technology, mother nature and a clunky Nep-newbee was a perfect storm just begging to happen. Like with my Ceph's I manipulated the lighting with the hamata to produce green pitchers with dark peristomes in case anyone is wondering why the plant it so green. I learned from the tragedy and the other hamata and villosa will be OK I'm sure and once I feel I have an adequate process going I might get another mac.

Really liked the mac even though it was a one-incher. It was just beginning to take off when it dropped.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /me stares slack-jawed at the sea of bisquamata.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, when I posted this plant a year ago people here freaked telling me how contagious that plant is and how it would infect the whole collection. Turns out it wasn't and didn't and even after flowering profusely none turned up in any other container. I did however move the mac to a new pot with fresh NZS and placed the old one as a display item. I accidentally allowed it to dry out and now I find myself missing that little invader. Anyone care to send me yours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't feel bad, I have lost three the same way. I don't understand how I can keep other Highland varieties without any problems, but when it comes to N. hamates’.. I have a very costly brown thumb.

I have tried different methods to cool them at night, but without an airconditioned control system all day, it seems hopeless for me.
    I was hoping to find a larger plant that was hardened to a greenhouse environment, but I’m getting skittish about trying them again.
    When all else fails, read the instructions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast