Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Nepenthes Discussion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit of a species Nazi myself. I can appreciate the natural hybrids to a degree but, I've started trading off most of my man made hybrids. I (being a former Dart Frogger by the way....) have more of an affinity for pure species. I do contrarily make my own hybrids though, no sense in wasting a good flower or pollen. My homemade hybrids also make great giveaways or trades for new comers to the hobby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BE-3495 could still prove to be female. I don't think that clone of hamata has been around long enough for people to get flowers from it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonetc View Post
    BE-3495 could still prove to be female. I don't think that clone of hamata has been around long enough for people to get flowers from it.
    True, the clone is too new to have flowered for anyone yet. Fingers crossed for female though ! By the way, this clone is an absolute BEAST of a plant. My 2nd fastest hamata aside from my seed grown Katopasa plant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    True, the clone is too new to have flowered for anyone yet. Fingers crossed for female though ! By the way, this clone is an absolute BEAST of a plant. My 2nd fastest hamata aside from my seed grown Katopasa plant.
    Mine is growing exceptionally well also.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $100.00 says Paul is the 1st to get a flower out of it !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i loveeee hybrids. there are only a handful of species i find to be truly superior. the hybrids offer many more great looking plants that would otherwise not exist. i dont care about purity or what is and isnt natural. we (vast majority of growers) are setting up artificial micro climates to grow these plants so very far from their natural habitat . What is and isn't natural has gone by the wayside a while back lol. We all choose different places to draw the line in the sand but I simply dont understand species snobs/nazis/purists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting topic, here's my 2 cents on the hybrid vs species debate
    Like has already been mentioned, the majority of species require specific conditions that only a good greenhouse can accommodate.
    Being short of such a greenhouse, creates the dilemma of either I grow a few relatively easy species and leave my collection at that or I can grow a wider range of plants by adding hybrids to the collection. For example for me personally, true highlanders, tend to suffer and I've lost a fair few plants in the summer time, where temps do not drop enough to sustain them. Similarly lowlanders suffer/die out in the wintertime due to temperature issues. This largely leaves me with the option of growing mainly intermediate species or trying to substitute species, with the next best thing, hybrids that look as close to the species as possible. For example i've tried N. aristolochioides and it died for me in summer, N. Bellii x aristolochioides does a lot better for me.

Another point, a lot of purists won't admit, is that some select hybrids look better than species. I've heard a few growers tell me in person that they would rather a N.hirsuta or N. Chaniana or N. Khasiana over for example spectabilis x veitchii. To me eye that seems like a weak argument on just a visual basis alone.

Lastly and this obviously comes down to personal taste. When you are purchasing a species, no doubt there will be variation in color/shape and other minor differences, but ultimately you know almost exactly what you are going to get before you grow the plant out from the seedling stage. For me personally I like the idea that I don't know exactly what i'm getting, and I enjoying chancing hybrids, especially complex ones. It's a gamble and often there's no shortage of undesirable clones in the batch, but every now and again you win the lottery and get a winner, which in my opinion makes it all worthwhile. Again this comes down to personal taste, some of the hybrids that I like, others would see unfavorably.

A bit off topic, but to all the dog lovers that grow strictly species, think about what dog you could own as a pet if dogs were not selectively bred for thousands of years? I know I personally prefer a poodle that does not shed it's fur everywhere over a middle eastern wolf/husky... No accounting for taste is there
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that attracts me most to the plants are the traits that make each species unique unto itself. I'm not damning hybrids in anyway, I just personally prefer the pure species. It's not all about flash and flair with me, I'm one of those people who would take a nice speckled hirsuta or a khasiana (chaniana does nothing for me) over a plant like spectabilis x veitchii any day. Space is also an issue with me. I have to make choices due to the constraints of my growing area and to me, the pure species are just worth more to me in the space I have to work with. If I had infinite room, I would definitely be open to growing more hybrids. I enjoy looking at everyone's photos of their hybrids but, most are just not for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast