Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TDS and PPM for Nepenthes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see the TDS thing...

Some water is just too hard. done. if it dries and leaves a residue, its probably not great.
    BUT
    these plants are way tougher than we give them credit for. added to that, the way most people grow/water their drosera, VFT and sarras are the reason behind their sensitivity IMO.
    okay, here goes:
    when you leave your plant in a tray of water, the water in the soil evaporates off the surface (and leaves any solute behind) - then draws more water (containing solutes/salts) up. replay this scenario over and over for months/years and even the purest of pure waters (no water can be 100% pure even if you purchase the highest grade UHPLC grade water for mass spectrometry) will eventually deposit enough salt in the soil to kill your plant.

now, I never subscribed to the RO water buzz and always had those plants standing in a tray of water and would top it up when needed, then I would flush the soil when I noticed salt stress. then I started just top watering all of them and I have never looked back. all my drosera, VFT and sarras get watered when my veggies get watered and they grow perfectly well.

So, in closing. these plants are far more sensitive to our growing methods than the water we use. it just makes sense. even 1ppm water WILL eventually cause a problem if the pots are never flushed and soil never replaced.
    Growing any plant in a way which allows salt to build up like that will kill it. some merely faster than others.
    We generally top water Neps so never see this problem because there is no reason for salts to build up between waterings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 80% of the locals living in highrise apartments, we use mostly tap water for our Neps. The TDS for the water in my area is about 110ppm and it is fine for them. It takes about 3-4 months for the minerals to show up on the top most layer of the sphagnum moss used as media. I wouldn't think 100ppm will kill the Neps but it certainly contributes to the media rotting faster...leading to root rot for the Neps.
    Last edited by Cindy; 01-29-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after posting above, I went to check my local water and its 130+ppm tds and my Neps have never gotten anything else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12