What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Spectabilis x Aristolochioides Offshoot question - First experience!

Hey Everyone!

First off, I just wanted to thank you so much for your advice on my last post. Got a larger terrarium, quad T30 3ft lights, and got the temp and humidity right and it perked and colored up in just two weeks. And every single leaf is producing a solid looking pitcher.

Anyways, now that it's doing so well there is a small offshoot starting up right next to the main stem, and I am fairly certain that the roots are intertwined or that its actually attached to the main shoot. I re-potted this plant when I first got it, so I am familiar with that process, but I have never dealt with an offshoot before (Besides on a Sundew, which was pretty far away and not attached).

Is there anything specific I should keep in mind when doing this, hints, tips, etc? I included two pictures, one of the main plant and another with a close up on the offshoots. I also circled them in black. Thanks so much!!

Kevin

This is what is called a basal offshoot or basal for short. It's very common with Nepenthes. Feel free to leave it alone and let it grow or cut it from it's connection to the main plant and start a whole new plant. If you choose to cut it, just snip it off close to where it joins the main stem or root system, dip the cut end into some rooting hormone (be sure to tap off excess) and place the new plant into moist lfs to root. The plant should be fully rooted in a month or two.

Don't cut it... I leave all of mine on. It makes for a fuller-looking plant.

Also, it'll help the plant grow faster. Initially it uses energy from the mother plant, but as you can see it has its own leaves. It can make enough energy for itself and even donate some to the mother. I've never noticed any plants slowing down from making basals. If anything, they've probably sped up.

You're VERY lucky to get a basal with that size plant! I would bring up the possibility of the mother plant being stressed, but it looks exactly like the opposite of that. You're doing something right! :)

EDIT: In addition, cutting a basal off also slows down the basal's growth itself. If I leave basals on my N. ventrata, they grow into a vine within a year. I cut a couple off in the spring of 2013 and they haven't grown a bit! ;)

Don't cut it... I leave all of mine on. It makes for a fuller-looking plant.

Also, it'll help the plant grow faster. Initially it uses energy from the mother plant, but as you can see it has its own leaves. It can make enough energy for itself and even donate some to the mother. I've never noticed any plants slowing down from making basals. If anything, they've probably sped up.

It will grow up right next to it, I assume? I sort of wanted a second plant, was thinking about parting a healthy leaf/pitcher, but was going to wait. I just re-potted it two months ago, the roots aren't completely solid and I wanted to make sure it was happy. I'm kind of OCD about it looking clean, so having a couple different offshoots crammed together might set that off. But I could always just use a leaf cutting.

You're VERY lucky to get a basal with that size plant! I would bring up the possibility of the mother plant being stressed, but it looks exactly like the opposite of that. You're doing something right! :)

Thanks so much! When I first got it, it was looking pretty faded green, throwing out pitchers but small and they would wilt soon. I threw up a couple of pictures of my setup, and took all of the recommendations. It took a complete turn in just 2 months after a light upgrade, terrarium size increase, stabilized day/night temp/humidity, and a re-pot. Really appreciate all of the help, it wouldn't look that way without you guys!

=D

Back