Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watering too often...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    I agree that it is somewhat of a hassle to keep watering it. Although my alata has survived about a decade with some periods of no watering, it doesn't make pitchers and just seems to be limping along. Is the container in the photo you posted drained?
    Have you repotted it recently or tried fertilizing? If it doesn't have pitchers you'll be unable to feed it insects, so I'd try some liquid feed. Provided you already have decent light, temperatures, and humidity, that is.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Also--I know I advocate this a lot but Turface or Aquatic Plant Soil is excellent for Neps. It's water absorbent and does not compact. So unlike Perlite, Turface will add just a little bit more water retention to your mix if it's going dry too fast. And perhaps the best trait of all: it doesn't rot or break down or decay! It will keep your media puffy for years.

If you're planning to toy around with media ingredients, getting your hands on some Turface would probably be really helpful.http://www.turface.com/distributors/state/

Although I still have a few large plants that are growing in media containing aquatic plant soil, I really can't recommend it for Nepenthes. For over a year, I had roughly 70 plants in a mix containing APS (turface) and the root growth was pretty abysmal. It doesn't hurt the plants - and I never experienced any rot while using it - but they were definitely stunted. I'm not sure what it is about the stuff, but Nepenthes roots have somewhat of an aversion towards it. After I switched to a media without turface, growth was much better and the root systems became much, much more extensive.

Turface works fine with Heliamphora and Sarracenia, but from what I've seen, it shouldn't be used much with Nepenthes (particularly small plants).

However, as the old internet adage goes, "Your mileage may vary."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plant!

Inside my terrariums, i grow my neps in 25% peat and 75% bark or orchid mix. I water once a week or so.

The one i grow outside the terra is in 75% peat and 25% bark, because like you said, i dont want to water twice or more a week at 60% RH.

A good thing when you water a peaty media is to shake well the bottle of water and then add water to the soil mix. This will add oxygen to the water, and more oxygen will run at the roots.

Hope this help!

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good ideas! I am pysched by this.

The container is drained. Every two to three days I put the pot in a bowl and add water until the surface of the moss is just submerged. After a few minutes of soaking I remove the pot, let it drain, and then rehang the little guy.

I think I will try the tray until I repot, then I will play with the ingredients in the mix.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Have you repotted it recently or tried fertilizing? If it doesn't have pitchers you'll be unable to feed it insects, so I'd try some liquid feed. Provided you already have decent light, temperatures, and humidity, that is.
    The humidity is the problem. I don't have anywhere humid to put it, so I just hang it from a tree in my front yard and the humidity is really how. I've taken a few cuttings and some of the internodes at the base are growing. Are there any brands of feed you would recommend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an increasing number of very big Nepenthes living outside and I always cover whatever they may be growing in with a 2"+ layer of pure coco peat to prevent drying. it works well and I water them about every 3 or 4 weeks.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mulching does seem to an adequate approach, I'd say. Thanks for the affirmation, Morbus et. al.

I was also thinking... *dangerous*

My sphagnum is loosely packed (i.e. not packed at all) which is a good thing for air, but a bad thing for drying out too quickly. I am thinking about just mushy it down more, adding more to the top ("mulching") and seeing how long that will run me. How compacted is too compacted when it comes to live LFSM for a media?
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the high CEC of turface makes it eventually saturated with mineral salts?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123