What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show Me Your N. aristolochioides Hybrids!

Swag:that just sounds like it's happy in your conditions to me :). Shorter leaves with a higher pitcher:leaf ratio usually is caused by the plant adapting to higher light levels.

Some of the leaf size decrease I'm sure is hard water damage from before I switched over to RO. You are right that I'm growing it in high light levels. I took the advice "you can never give a nepenthes too much light" too literally, and caused some minor leaf burn. Now that I've moved the N. bellii x aristo away from the lights a bit and cranked up the humidity in the grow tent to 80%, it has started to grow noticeably faster.

Be careful with night temps, especially as regards N. aristolochioides and its hybrids; they can start to suffer metabolic disruption and leaf size starts to decrease, which can be a signalling of far worse things to come. It would be in your best interest to get night temps down to 55F for long term health of this plant.

Is this true with aristolochioides hybrids crossed with lowlanders? My plant is N. bellii x aristolochioides

Is this true with aristolochioides hybrids crossed with lowlanders? My plant is N. bellii x aristolochioides

You stated that leaf size was decreasing significantly, and you also stated that night temps are in the mid-sixties. Those two things taken together suggest that nights are too warm for this plant. I've found most aristolochioides hybrids are closely aligned to that species in terms of temperature needs. It seems the other parent doesn't play much of a role in determining its temperature tolerances, at least in the plants I have grown.

I did not know that about N. aristo hybrids. Most hybrids between a lowland and highland species, in my experience, can take either lowland or highland conditions. I will go ahead and drop the night temps.

I checked on my N. bellii x aristo earlier today, it produced a new leaf a bit larger than the previous one.

Nepenthes aristolochioides x diatas The pitchers seem to be getting a bit more boring with age.

N. aristo x glabrata
IMG_0836.JPG

N. aristo (BE clone) - This is an exceptionally weak clone, in my experience. Not sure if others have had similar experiences.
IMG_0841.JPG

N.(spathulata x aristolochioides) x lowii

My contribution to this thread and it is a bit complex. The pitcher is as big as the plant,very compact. It does have a few hairs under the lid.:banana2:

Ramon:D

N.(spathulata x aristolochioides) x lowii
16548586697_f14d1657e1_z.jpg

16569736399_b1b118fc6e_z.jpg

Last edited:
N. aristo (BE clone) - This is an exceptionally weak clone, in my experience. Not sure if others have had similar experiences.

The BE clone is practically un-growable, in my experience. I can only speculate as to the reason(s).

Last edited:
Paul, I've also been having bad luck with some of their basic aristo hybrids: aristo x spectabilis and aristo x talangensis(?) (this appeared to be incorrectly labeled). I think you mentioned previously that the aristo x spectabilis appeared to be a chimera. Have you seen similar bad growth with their other basic hybrids?

Paul, I've also been having bad luck with some of their basic aristo hybrids: aristo x spectabilis and aristo x talangensis(?) (this appeared to be incorrectly labeled). I think you mentioned previously that the aristo x spectabilis appeared to be a chimera. Have you seen similar bad growth with their other basic hybrids?

Not really - no. While there have been several reports of "possible Chimaeras" showing up in the aristolochioides X spectabilis cross - mine included - I was able to cut out the Chimaera portion of my plant and it has grown quite well ever since. However, I won't be surprised if at some point the chimaera-like activity appears again.

This plant went on to produce a steady stream of superb upper pitchers last summer: https://nitrogenseekers.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/20140805-212822-77302806.jpg

There is one other BE aristolochioides cross I've tried, including aristolochioides X singalana and that one was a dog IMO: slow grower, very small plant that seemed never to hit its stride - I gave it away. The pitchers were pretty when it made lowers, but the couple of wee uppers I saw were as bland as can be - probably the singalana genes at fault there. (N. singalana uppers are very plain and colorless) Since that plant is just one data point, I can't say I think the BE aristolochioides is to blame for the poor vigor, but I can't help but wonder.

The EP cross of aristolochioides X bellii is vastly superior; vigor to beat the band and aesthetically a much more redeeming hybrid. See: https://nitrogenseekers.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/20131024-120006.jpg
I would also say that the Leilani hybrid N. Involuntary Bliss (aristolochioides X mira) is a much better hybrid also, with great vigor, rich color, good size and it makes attractive uppers, which cannot be said for the BE singalana hybrid. Here is N. Involuntary Bliss: https://nitrogenseekers.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/img_5308.jpg

So the question is: is the BE aristolochioides both a weak plant and a poor breeder? (if in fact that is the plant they've employed in hybridizing) I don't know, but in my limited experience, everyone else's aristolochioides hybrids are better than the ones BE produces.

Back