User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your N. aristolochioides Hybrids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And some aristo photoshop i did out of boredom

I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another view of my N. bellii X aristolochioides:
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2013/04/20130406-163407.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://**************************************/2013/10/20131024-120006.jpg[/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    It is pretty much a given that the color break on the pitcher body and other deformities is the result of genetic damage to the cross, probably acquired through the tissue culturing process. My N. spectabilis X aristolochioides had its main vine turn "bad" producing nothing but twisted, small pitchers and lamina that were half normal, half distorted. I believe the plant had a meristematic point that was a blend of normal and damaged tissue, and so what I was seeing was a chimaera. I cut that vine off and discarded it. If it shows up again in a future growth, I will discard the plant. I have no patience for genetically damaged TC plants.
    Although I agree that the problem is likely to be the tissue culture (since several people experienced it with this particular cross), I must point out that chimaera's are produced naturally as well. In fact the possibility of a plant to have a mutation in one of it's meristematic points is a way of ensuring that it might survive what other growth points might not. Chimaera's are sometimes found in tree species where a branch can have a different genetic layout from it's neighbouring branch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lowii View Post
    Jurow, I really really like your aristo x mira, is the origin from BE or *******(I know he made the cross as well)? The way the peristome is internalized within the pitcher, I have not seen to that extent before. Just awesome!
    Thanks much. It's from BE.

As a side note: I get a little uneasy when I see so many people pointing fingers at "sloppy tissue culture" when their plants start doing strange things. We've seen some pretty crazy witch-hunts on this and other forums over the years regarding Nepenthes producers, many involving their tissue culture practices.

I can say that I've personally had thousands of plants come through my greenhouse from these propagators, and haven't encountered any clearly deformed specimens (even after many years of continuous cultivation.) What I have seen quite often are pictures of plants grown in sub-optimal conditions (not bad per se, but indoors for example) that may be exhibiting pest or other environmental stress.

I'm not denying the existence or possibility of TC errors cropping up from time to time, even from the best vendors. I am, however, saying that in my experience it's pretty rare.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    What I have seen quite often are pictures of plants grown in sub-optimal conditions (not bad per se, but indoors for example) that may be exhibiting pest or other environmental stress.

I'm not denying the existence or possibility of TC errors cropping up from time to time, even from the best vendors. I am, however, saying that in my experience it's pretty rare.
    In my case, I don't think you can say that the distortion/abnormalities I witnessed were the result of "sub-optimal conditions". I'll just leave it at that.

New photo from yesterday - N. bellii X aristolochioides:
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2014/02/bell-arist-feb13-14.jpg[/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    In my case, I don't think you can say that the distortion/abnormalities I witnessed were the result of "sub-optimal conditions". I'll just leave it at that.
    Lol. Paul, half this forum would love to have your set-up. A greenhouse in the Willamette is pretty idea for HLers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes ventricosa x (aristolochioides x thorelii) Bred by our very own Mr. Paul Barden.

Nepenthes aristolochioides x diatas - Hortus Botanicus

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea that N. aristolochioides x diatas existed, interesting cross.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast