What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

largest hamata in cultivation?

When I have a greenhouse I'm going to let one of my hamatas grow as large as it wants to. I'll only make cuttings when a vine is mostly brown and the growing point is suffering for it. It occurred to me that I've never seen a large hamata before. The photos people post are almost always of plants that are barely vining. Is there a hamata in a conservatory out there somewhere that's a giant bush like so many other of their nepenthes specimens? Does anyone here have a candidate for the largest in their own collection?

Is there a hamata in a conservatory out there somewhere that's a giant bush like so many other of their nepenthes specimens?
There could be if someone wants to send me a cutting =)

I have the smallest LOL My little hamata rosette is only 5 cm with tiny cute pitchers :)

Atlanta Botanical Garden has a hamata with a 6 foot vine and a basal rosette.

This is the biggest one i've seen photos of, the grower is from southern france i think

3410307166_d5e5574602_z.jpg

Atlanta Botanical Garden has a hamata with a 6 foot vine and a basal rosette.
I went and saw ABG this fall and you're definitely right about that hamata being huge! Unfortunately the prying fingers of the public left most of the pitchers' teeth badly mangled. If only people knew how tough growing highlanders in GA was...

Here's the only photo I've got of it. More hair than plant. https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1395994_528491620577820_1587590049_n.jpg Picture my wife sighing behind me and saying "fine, I'll take a picture of you and your stupid plant"

Last edited:
By no means a monster but at near to 7 years + in age I`m pleased with this Hamata .
2 vines + 2 basals , it`s looking a bit shabby at the moment as it`s the middle of summer.

Picture my wife sighing behind me and saying "fine, I'll take a picture of you and your stupid plant"
LOL Oh man, I feel your pain, man. My wife has said the same thing to me. She loved it when I dragged her butt hours in the car to see California Carnivores only to have me spend hours wandering the place. I will have to pull up a classic pic I have of her sitting in a chair looking bored while I pranced around like I was in a I am in heaven/candy store/team just won the super bowl mood!

love that hamata....great growing!

Great Hamata Bretto, do you remember the origin? Was it BE or Malesiana Tropicals? I've PM'd you.

This is Ron's hamata. I asked him If I could post it on here. Windowsill grown year round. All the cuttings are from the mother plant, on the right.

He also grows these in low humidty environments.

By no means a monster but at near to 7 years + in age I`m pleased with this Hamata .
2 vines + 2 basals , it`s looking a bit shabby at the moment as it`s the middle of summer.
Your view is spectacular. I want to be your neighbor.

LOL Oh man, I feel your pain, man. My wife has said the same thing to me. She loved it when I dragged her butt hours in the car to see California Carnivores only to have me spend hours wandering the place. I will have to pull up a classic pic I have of her sitting in a chair looking bored while I pranced around like I was in a I am in heaven/candy store/team just won the super bowl mood!

Oh gosh don't I know this feeling too all too well with a Carter and Holmes pic. God forbid I want to go by myself though.

Cool thread...

Jeremiah has the most 'mature' specimen I have seen, it may not be the largest, but it was producing pure green huge fanged upper pitchers.

if you check out the ALOHANEPENTHES.com and look at the "a year in the life" section there are some great examples with 9" pitchers ,but i can't seem to post a link far ya:-( wow Ron that is an awesome plant

Great Hamata Bretto, do you remember the origin? Was it BE or Malesiana Tropicals? I've PM'd you.

Hi Marc
Not too sure , i`ve got 2 one is still only small but they`re both about the same age and as happens over time the tags faded and broke into pieces .
One i got from captive exotics when it was run by Tony Camilleri and the other was bought off ebay from a guy in Victoria .

if you check out the ALOHANEPENTHES.com and look at the "a year in the life" section there are some great examples with 9" pitchers ,but i can't seem to post a link far ya:-( wow Ron that is an awesome plant
Here you go!

Back