Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T5-HO tubes for nepenthes tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T5-HO tubes for nepenthes tank

I will be getting one of the Exo-Terra Extra Wide/Extra Tall tanks (36" length, 18" width, 36" height) and I was wondering how many T5-High Output fluorescent tubes I should use for lighting. I've been looking at a 2 foot long, 4-tube fixture from a local hydroponics supply place. The fixture comes with 4 6000k bulbs, but I am going to swap out 2 for 3000k to get a more natural spectrum.

Due to the height of the tank, my plants will be between 1 and 2 feet from the lights (depending on plant height). With the set-up I am describing, is this too much/too little light for Nepenthes? I have the option of getting a 6-tube or 8-tube unit, but I feel that would be overkill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To light a 30x22x32" tank I'm using 4 24" T5HO tubes. I would say 4 tubes is the minimum for good growth, while 6 tubes would be the maximum. And of course you'll be battling high temperatures under those lights, so 4 tubes might make your life easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as carbonetc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Sun Blaze T5HO 2' 4 lamp fixture for my indoor Herb garden doesn't put off all that much heat....but it is an open space and my fixture is louvered to help the heat dissipate above the bulbs and not below them where the plants are.
    http://www.horticulturesource.com/su...amp-23--p2655/

I like HO fluorescent bulbs BECAUSE they don't put off crazy heat and can be closer to the plants. So I am not so sure you will be battling high temperatures really. But who knows with your specific fixture.

On the note of how many bulbs, if you can afford it, go for 6. I was wishing 3 days after I got mine that I had gone for the 8 lamp fixture. But if 6 is the suggested max, get yourself the 6 if you can price it. Perhaps I am wrong depending on your specific situation and plants, but I think 6 is better than 4. IMHO

Good luck!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out that the same local place that carries the T5-HO lights also has grow tents, so I will be getting one of those instead of the exo-terra because I can get a much larger growing space for less money. I'm not sure what size I will get (probably at least 4' long by 4' deep, not sure about height) so I will use either a total of 8 or 12 bulbs, depending on how large I decide to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's nice.

I only became familiar with grow tents when I started researching HID light fixtures that put of insane heat. What kind of humidity can be maintained in a grow tent? Anyone know?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a grow tent, and I maintain mine @ 80% and thats with 4 4ft t5s and 2 300 watt led set ups. Its also 8ft by 8ft. However, any humidity level is achievable.
    Tower//Jake
    "Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling."
    http://www.thecpforum.com <--- My site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 4x4x8' grow tent doesn't maintain ideal humidity on its own, so I have one of those pond foggers sitting at the intake of one of the fans. As long as I keep the reservoir full my humidity stays at 70-85%. And this is with the vents almost entirely closed. If I did extensive watering I probably wouldn't have to worry about it, but condensation that rolls down the walls leaks out of the tent bottom, otherwise I'd just use a misting system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast