0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome growing! : )

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent plants! I am curious, what do you consider to be the "winter elements" that these plants are exposed to? They seem quite healthy still. Also on the last pitcher, what is that brown mass hanging from the underside of the lid?
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys

This winter has been unseasonably cold for us. we have had frost twice and gale force winds are normal here. cape town = cape of storms. the first three pictures was taken the day after (3 days ago) night time frost was reported here.
    in milder winters I usually have far less activity in the GH.

thats something the ants build on some pitchers. its not quite a nest and I dont really know what its for...
    here is another example

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to get rid of those
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange, I wonder what they are? Are the ants building a 'ladder' that lets them bypass the slippery peristome to sip on the sweet nectar without falling prey to the plant?
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how your outdoor plants are set up, you may be able to keep the ants off of them if you want to/ Self-feeding plants are nice and all, but bugs can sometimes be a problem.

Do those things the ants make seem to have any negative effect on your pitchers?

If your Neps are in hanging baskets not touching the ground or other plants, they make something called a water moat that is used to keep ants out of things like hummingbird feeders. It is simply a little cup of water that your chain attaches to above and below that the ants supposedly can't cross. Something similar may be practical if you don't want the ants on your neps. I guess it depends on the ant species, as some will form rafts to cross bodies of water.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarah, why do you reckon I should get rid of them?
    I have an 'open' greenhouse and, without continually spraying pesticides, it would be impossible to get rid of them long term.

Dragoness, I also think its a sort of safety structure. although, almost all my plants eat ants and they only seem to make them on some pitchers. it you look at the veitchii X bosch 'ant mound' closely, there is a hole in the front and the ants do move in and out of it. im not sure what that means, but its interesting. there could be a big nectar gland under it...
    'the second pic I posted is just a ;plug' covering the opening. and, its the same type of ant building both. those are the only two structures I see them building on pitchers.
    I dont believe there is a negative effect no. yesterday I saw that the plug in the second pic had somehow broken and most of it has fallen into the pitcher

honestly, I dont see any reason to get rid of them... I have had all sorts of bugs in the GH since it first went up (almost 5 years ago) and cant attribute any problem to them... and, they are a good food source. also, ive got around 180+ neps still in the GH and most are on the ground (see the first pic posted in the thread) so there is no way to prevent ant access to pitchers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordimus prime, straight up. I like your attitude towards the bizarre ant formations.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast