Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fully agree with the curiosity of it. my history with these plants is one of curiosity, so, im quite happy to see nature unfold in my GH; albeit very basic. I would love to have a tree shrew frolicking on my imaginary vining lowii, lol

to be honest though, I havent considered the possibility of them carrying nasties into my GH. I have only ever had scale once but I believe that that was isolated and a plant problem rather than an ant problem. touch wood. but I will keep an eye out for it, thanks!

While I havent done any reading into possible reasons for this; the ants in the pictures are Argentinian which means that they cannot know what Neps are and these cannot be Nep specific behaviors. so, I am curious as to why they would build these structures? rather, why do they know how to and that they should... and why only sometimes?
    And, I dont think its unattractive there are 100 untouched pitchers for every one that gets built on.
    as theplantman said, its really cool to be able to show someone a pitcher full of digesting bugs, and as the pic below shows - the mechanism that they have to keep the prey inside im still amazed

what happens when they dont build

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbus View Post
    I fully agree with the curiosity of it.
    *edit*

While I havent done any reading into possible reasons for this; the ants in the pictures are Argentinian which means that they cannot know what Neps are and these cannot be Nep specific behaviors. so, I am curious as to why they would build these structures? rather, why do they know how to and that they should... and why only sometimes?
    And, I dont think its unattractive there are 100 untouched pitchers for every one that gets built on.
    as theplantman said, its really cool to be able to show someone a pitcher full of digesting bugs, and as the pic below shows - the mechanism that they have to keep the prey inside im still amazed
    What happens in the pitcher, stays in the pitcher

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would explain why I am the only one who is getting ants in my room.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbus View Post
    I fully agree with the curiosity of it. my history with these plants is one of curiosity, so, im quite happy to see nature unfold in my GH; albeit very basic. I would love to have a tree shrew frolicking on my imaginary vining lowii, lol

to be honest though, I havent considered the possibility of them carrying nasties into my GH. I have only ever had scale once but I believe that that was isolated and a plant problem rather than an ant problem. touch wood. but I will keep an eye out for it, thanks!

what happens when they dont build
    I am extremely curious as to how the ants solved the problem of creating a bridge using debris and soil, and how they knew it would stick to the Nep leaf. Perhaps, like bees and wasps (their relatives!), they're able to create biological glues or have special saliva.

I believe what I've got are also Argentinian ants, which are currently invading the southern US. Because I have such a diverse collection crammed in one greenhouse, almost every plant family other than carnivores is preferred by pests. Typically they farm mealybugs on the other plants, and all they do on the carnivores is harmlessly sip nectar. Apparently these ants are also attracted to electromagnetism. I have found milions of ants nesting inside my drip irrigation control boxes ($200 worth of ant-related failure!). We've also lost a computer to Argentinian ants as well as a cooling unit for a walk-in fridge.

I also agree with morbus. Nepenthes always have more than one leaf and more than one pitcher. Plenty of spares if the ants colonize one or even several.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarah, I think that a Nep producing nectar will make any ant problem worse, lol. they will just come for it in force and the plant wont trap them all.

Paul, the need to make sure nothing gets out or they may let the others know its a trap, lol. such sneaky plants!

the plot thickens. I have no idea how they build it... a while ago, they made one that spanned about 5cm. pity I dont have a picture though.
    So, we get them in electronics here as well, but that just happens in winter. I think its the heat they are after as it just happens for us in winter. have you sealed the box?? $200 is quite a lot... thats an eddie
    Last edited by morbus; 07-10-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just find it interesting that they make the exodus all the way to the 2nd floor to my room, completely ignoring the kitchen, for my nepenthes.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a few more recent pics

veitchii X boschiana

maxima X spectabilis

(lowii X veitchii)y X boschiana

densiflora X RC - going to uppers

fusca 'sarawak'

bongso lower and upper

my favourites - some seedlings
    where they start-

Last edited by morbus; 02-23-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck yes man! Some serious monsters in there. I am particularly fond the N. maxima x spectabilis.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast