Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basil Shoots??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything stated before is good, but here are some pictures to illustrate:
    A basal still growing on the main plant.

A separated basal, rooted and growing in its own pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh okay makes perfect sense! I have a Nepenthes Alata and I can see a small little basil shoot growing so that's why I asked. I'm thinking of switching to live sphagnum moss now because I didn't know it helped roots grow. I grow my plants outside, I live in San Diego, CA. I have 2 alatas, a st.hedwig, ventricosa, and 2 more that I don't know the names .. I've had them for about a month and a half, still waiting for new pitchers to form. A lot of them have died I'm guessing because of shock but new leaves are forming on all of them I'm sooo excited!! The Alata is the only one with a basil shoot. Bout it at Home Depot .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My basil shoot is definitely smaller than that but thank you soo much for the pic. This will then grow lower pitchers only or both ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The basal will start out growing lower pitchers, but once it gets to a certain size and height it will begin to produce upper pitchers.
    Last edited by Bio; 04-27-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basil is a culinary herb. The vegetative shoots that develop at the notion of Nepenthes are basals, with two A's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it's so much funnier to read "Basil" shoots!

J/K we're all new at one time!

I've never had a plant die because it made a basal shoot but I have had a plant start to weaken for some reason and then it sent up a basal which took over as the main plant. N. hamata x platychilla actually is the last one who did this. Other ones just send up basals while the main vine keeps on going. I've noticed basals tend to start when the main vine is long enough to lean across the pot or over the pot. Though once years ago instead of creating a basal my old N. hamata decided to split into two at the top growing point of a 2 foot vine for no apparent reason. The two vines were both healthy and each grew a further couple feet before I got tired of waiting for it to flower and ran out of space and had to turn it into cuttings.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to consider is that sometimes the basil shoot can be more vigorous than the main stem of the Nepenthes and it can sometimes compete for light and nutrients.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, is that the Rare N. hamata x Salvia divinorum cross?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast