Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basil Shoots??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basil Shoots??

I'm fairly new but I always read about growers and their plants making basil shoots. What are basil shoots? Are they good? What do they do? How do you know if your nepenthes is growing one?

Thanks
    Kenny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are pretty much a branch from the base of the plant, for a healthy plant they will not effect it, but they can weaken sick plants as they drain alot of energy, this is also what many growers (myself included) wait for before taking cuttings from a nep as if somthing goes wrong with the main stem you have a new one there already, so I would say good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_planter View Post
    What do they do? How do you know if your nepenthes is growing one?
    A nepenthes is a vine where new growth is done growth is generally from the top of the main stem. A basal shoot is another growing point that can emerge at the base of the plant. These will continue to grow on a healthy plant, so you would end up with two plants. As it was mentioned, you could wait to take cuttings of the main vine once you have a basal plant (alternate growth point) to avoid losing your main vine by cutting the existing growth point.

You will see small leaves and a new growth point that should look similar to your main vine at the base of your plant. You can also take a basal cutting to propagate your plant and leave the main vine to continue to grow.

A good thing about a basal shoot or plant is that is gives you new options like leave it alone, use it as insurance when you take cuttings of the main vine or remove the basal and allow it to grow separately from the main vine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great for making Pesto!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Great for making Pesto!
    Wrong basal.. :P (though I'll admit it was appropriate for the spelling in the thread title)
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I think I get the main idea of it. So will the main plant die if I don't remove it? Also just for clarification, removing the basil shoot and putting it in sphagnum, perlite and orchid mix will start a new plant to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, your plant may send more of the plant's overall energy to the basal, but in my experience, if your plant is healthy, your main vine should be fine.

Yes, you can re-pot the basal in the same manner as you would to make a successful nepenthes cutting. I would recommend a potting media that is helpful for new roots to emerge, like live sphagnum moss; high humidity is also helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another advantage of these shoots is that if you have a large nep that is making boring uppers (for most species, lowii not included) then these basals will produce lowers for you, which are in general much more impressive/larger than uppers.

I normally wait until the shoot has atleast 3-4 open traps before I take a cuttign from a basal, I find the success rate is dramatically increased, also depending on the nep you can either place the cutting in pure H2O, in a spag/perlite mix, in a peat/sand mix or use root hormone.

E.G I have found that ampullaria cutting do best in the peat/sand soil with no hormones, but maxima rot in the same mix and do best in an airy spag/perlite, I can't say much about hormones as I have always used them with success however some say they inhibit the plants natural root hormones.

The big thing with cuttings is high humidity, stable temps, moist soil and bright light (similiar to the parent plants), and obviously the larger the cutting the greater the chances, also certain species are more prone to failure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast