What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month May 2014

Vote for the top 3 best!

• Red Lowii - N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x Xtrusmadiensis

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • ellisonk001 - N. boschiana x (spectabilis x veitchii)

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Maiden - N. hamata

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Bio - N. inermis Gadut

• thelarge - N. Peter D'Amato

• Av8tor1 - N. macrophylla

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Favian - N. sumatrana x burbidgeae

• Whimgrinder - N. lowii X talangensis

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • theplantman - N.bicalcarata

• NatchGreyes - N. spathulata x jacquelineae

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Tuuagso - N. sibuyanensis

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Not a Number - N. fusca 'Sarawak'

• RL7836 - N. jacquelineae

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bet that ruined your making fun if me didn't it? I really don't eat honey, I don't like stuff that sweet.

No wonder you are psycho...

No wonder you are psycho...

:p I also like eating lemons. With salt on them, and nothing else. It's a bad way to find out you have a cut in your mouth, but I love the sour taste.

WOW. I knew when I first laid eyes on the words, "N. lowii x talangensis" that I would someday see a picture of some truly spectacular plant.

The lid nectar on that one is just nuts! So clean and clear looking, really owing to its talangensis father.

As far as eating Nepenthes nectar goes - serve it up. I haven't tasted one yet that I didn't love.

It seems like, with all the dirty bugs crawling all over it, that people could get illnesses from eating it though.

It seems like, with all the dirty bugs crawling all over it, that people could get illnesses from eating it though.
You think the food you eat has never come in contact with insects?

You think the food you eat has never come in contact with insects?

No, I am well aware it has, but it has also been washed and processed to prevent illness. If raw honey can give people salmonella, I don't see how this stuff couldn't do the same.

My Nepenthes are actually probably a lot cleaner than most of the things that come in contact with my food throughout its overall travel to my mouth.

As far as I know most truly dangerous sicknesses that are carried by insect are carried by biting insects when the disease directly enters your blood stream.

I seriously doubt that Nepenthes in general are likely to harbor unusually high levels of sickening microorganisms when compared to the rest of most of our surroundings in our daily lives. However likely it may be that a pitcher would harbor ill-begotten pathogens, those pathogens would most likely be concentrated in the pitcher fluid itself, not the (relatively) clean nectar. Furthermore I have witnessed fellow trail mates of mine drinking actual pitcher fluid from multiple species of Nepenthes in situ and there are countless numbers of Nepenthes growers that have eaten or regularly eat Nepenthes nectar. I have never heard of any of these people getting ill.

Even the digestive fluids seem to be fine to drink. The Savage Garden mentions that travelers would drink it when thirsty, and that people would cook rice in the pitchers.

Fluids from unopened and newly opened pitchers are nearly sterile, and can be used for anesthetic properties (personal experience), and really, eating nectar from a pitcher in a greenhouse is certainly less dangerous than biting into that apple on the counter that the housefly has walked on without you knowing...or that piece of bread in the fridge with the hidden mold spots...
But, back onto topic more or less, anyone else with last-minute entries for this month?

Av8tor1 - I'll raise your cheesy cell phone macrophylla with a cheesy cell phone macrophylla PLUS a 30x magnifying glass lol. It may only be a centimeter tall without any teeth but it can still handle blood worms!

***This doesn't have to be in the poll, more just posting for fun. Just noticed the plant has to be in your possession for at least 6 months. I bought this seedling 2 months ago. For what it's worth the leaf and pitcher were formed in my care :) ***

Last edited:
updated image of my macro pitcher :awesome:

Thanks for looking,
Av

Canon T3i/600D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
ISO 100
f/2.8 @ 1/125
3 images stacked/manually focused

Now THAT.. is a thing if beauty! Fantastic photo butch.
Thanks for the new iPad background!!

I have to agree with Mass, that's one of the best pics I've seen in a long time....

N. fusca "Sarawak"
IMGP8272_zps5e140275.jpg

Yesterday, while digging out an entrenched Nep (amazing where they can put pitchers), we discovered an N. jacquelineae pitcher that had been hidden. So, in keeping with the theme of red for the month ...

.... and a peristome view from above

Last edited:
Lots of competition this month!

Back