Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: They Might Be Giants

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also get ferns as weeds in my work greenhouse. Very common in a wet/humid environment. Mostly Dryopteris, Thelypteris, Nephrolepis, Phlebodium, Pellaea, Pyrrosia, Psilotum, and Adiantum.

For me, it's really interesting because our teaching collection with the ferns is in a completely different greenhouse from the CPs. I weed out ferns from the CP room. The only way I can explain how those ferns repeatedly germinate their spores in the CP room is for the spores to have been blasted from one greenhouse to another through the exhaust fans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of giants, this is the season's first new pitcher on my N. naga. I know, I know, not exactly a giant, but its much bigger than the previous one.
    [IMG]https://**************************************/2014/05/20140521-093541-34541014.jpg[/IMG]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Speaking of giants, this is the season's first new pitcher on my N. naga. I know, I know, not exactly a giant, but its much bigger than the previous one.
    What do you mean by the first pitcher of the season? Do you mean the first pitcher in the summer? Because Nepenthes don't go through dormancy do they?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not serious, are you?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the seasons change enough (light levels, temp drops), oh yeah, they slow down in growth. Not a true dormancy really, but they often stop pitchering.
    Paul, I can't wait to see when that naga pitcher goes black!
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, the coloration of that naga reminds me of those decorated eggs (that is one shiny metallic looking inside).
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woah
    those are nice - Naga especially. how big is the plant? and how old is it?
    Whats the biggest trunc X spec pitchers around? im sure they can get massive

and the ferns - they can become quite a problem
    they look impressive, lol, but they grow MUCH faster than the neps so they tend to take over. ive had some hit 2m before taking them out

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neps have a great deal of seasonality for me, though I have a completely artificial environment. Typically offshooting/vegetative growth (spring)--> pitchering (summer) -->flowering (fall/winter) -->sluggishness (winter)

Varies by species, too. I let them do what they want without too much prodding. I feed when they seem to want to grow, and I withhold when they don't.
    Last edited by theplantman; 05-22-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast