Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is my N. hamata doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is my N. hamata doing?

Hello all!

I received this N. hamata (BE-3495) on 01/14/14. It has been growing very well for me and has been producing successively larger pitchers until now. The most recent leaf is... weird. It's more of a nub. I did notice that my ultrasonic fogging machine had been directed straight at the hamata and was soaking the growth tip for a while before I noticed it. I increased the humidity in my setup recently to help with acclimating some new plants. The only other change in growing conditions that I can think of is slightly warmer temperatures at night (57*F-60*F or so as opposed to the low 50's that I was able to achieve during the cold winter months).

Any ideas what my hamata is up to?

Thank you all.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be from the increased nighttime temps. Some species really need those temp drops to produce leaves properly. The humidity shouldn't have been much of an issue unless it was soaking the plant in liquid for hours every day. It could also just be a natural failed leaf on the part of the plant (happens on occasion with most plants). Really nice hamata by the way.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it doesn't look too happy that's for sure. The decreasing leaf size your seeing is a bad sign, the plant is most likely stressed from being kept far too warm for it's liking. N.hamata does best with day temps no higher than the low 80's with nights dropping into the 50's to low 60's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three years ago when I started collecting Nepenthes, I had N. talangensis in a tank, and after 6 months in that tank, it started to look just like your hamata. It turns out that extended periods of night temps between 60F and 63F was making it sick. I found a way to drop the night temps to 57F or a bit lower, and the problem resolved itself. I believe your plant is suffering from temperature stress.

PS: you haven't stated what the daytime high temps are.....
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 05-21-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm... The temperature range that you described is exactly what is has been receiving. During the winter I was able to drop the nighttime temps into the upper 40's low 50's regularly. It seems to have liked that much more, at least in my care. I guess I will move them to the basement where it is cooler...

I don't know if this could also be a factor but I moved in to a slightly different location in my terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. Daytime temps have been 75*F to 83*F.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could it be getting more light? it looks a bit like sunburn to me.... OTOH I dunno if it would start at the mid rib. ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like this weekend I will be overhauling my system. Time to drop the temps! :-) Thank you guys.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast