Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The tiny ones

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    What is the daytime relative humidity in the space now?
    Above 60% consistently. Usually holds around 80%, if I recall correctly.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree w/ some of the folks here that you may be operating on incorrect information regarding some of the plants you mentioned, but everyone's conditions & experience can vary. For instance, N. talangensis always immediately vines for me & produces copious pitchers & flowers.

To maybe help your search, I have a few plants on hand that I would be happy to trade if you're interested:

For species, I'm thinking N. alba/N. gracillima. They are cool looking plants, dark pitchers, and have been very small/slow growers in my experience. I've been growing several of each of these for years, and none have entered the vining stage. Granted, this could be because I'm growing them in highland/ultrahighland conditions, so they can never really take-off.

N. maxima "watutau dwarf" and N. maxima "lake poso" have also stayed very small under my care, but that could also be for the same reasons. Growing as intermediates they might do the normal maxima "get crazy big" thing.

I know you specifically are asking about species, but I also have a few trade-able hybrids that could fit the bill:
    • N. lowii x campanulata - slow (thanks lowii!) & has stayed tiny for me. might just be my conditions though.
    • N. bellii x ventricosa - (rare?) hybrid I picked up from Peter D'amato in the 90s that has been a great terrarium grower for me. Nice little red pitchers.
    • N. glabrata x aristolochioides - new hybrid just released by BE which should be quite small & very showy. Might be too "highland" for you though.

I would also say that, based on your description, your holy-grails should probably be N. argentii (if you can keep it cool) & N. campanulata. Look into them a bit. Happy to talk about getting you those during one of your future annual searches when you have your conditions locked down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowland conditions I can imitate with great ease, highlander a bit tougher but I feel I can do it with enough effort on my part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely agree with alba/gracillima and lowii x camp. I've grown both and they've both stayed relatively small for me (esp. lowii x campanulata). I do grow my neps in HL conditions though so I'm not sure how well they'd do in yours, but they could be okay. I just don't know. Size-wise they're both good choices.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice guys

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is just a good old N. ventricosa. Assuming that your dorm conditions are less than ideal for Nepenthes, the plant will not go gang-busters and will stay small for quite some time. The occasional neglect (IE: letting it dry out, never misting it, not repotting it) will surely keep it at a small and manageable size for what I can astute to being almost indefinitely. I have a N. ventricosa that has been growing on a windowsill for almost 5 years now. It is still 4-6 inches in diameter and not much larger than when I first got it.

I would certainly stay away from the plants that you mentioned in the opening post. They will not appreciate your average dorm room windowsill.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post

Nepenthes glabrata (pros, very small, very pretty pitchers. Cons, I have a hybrid with it as a parent, not the easiest to grow, highlander)
    I have grown N. glabrata and it is not difficult in my experience with the temperatures you can provide. I also generally grow nepenthes based on how awesome I think the pitchers will be. You seem to like the pitchers of this one the best; so if I were you, I would pick this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Your best bet is just a good old N. ventricosa. Assuming that your dorm conditions are less than ideal for Nepenthes, the plant will not go gang-busters and will stay small for quite some time. The occasional neglect (IE: letting it dry out, never misting it, not repotting it) will surely keep it at a small and manageable size for what I can astute to being almost indefinitely. I have a N. ventricosa that has been growing on a windowsill for almost 5 years now. It is still 4-6 inches in diameter and not much larger than when I first got it.

I would certainly stay away from the plants that you mentioned in the opening post. They will not appreciate your average dorm room windowsill.
    I already have a ventricosa.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast