What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris_Himself

Nep'tard
Peter and some of the crew were busy so I didn't have time to speak, but thats what being the biggest nursery in the US will do to ya. Damon was only a stone's throw away and was attentive and we had good conversation.

After about 10 years of growing CP's it only takes 5 minutes to learn something new every time I go there:

1. You can grow Heliamphora in a drink fridge.
2. N. Hamata can be grown in the same area of the greenhouse as N. Sanguinea, N. Ventricosa, N xMiranda, and only two tables down were Drosera, Dionea, and Sarracenia. I thought I had a fluke easy growing experience with Hamata, but this is definitely a game changer. I feel a lot more comfortable growing the rare species now that I've seen that they're largely accepting of a variety of grow environments.
3. A good deal of Nepenthes quite like full sun.. and can pretty much be thrown in the same growing area with your other CP's.
4. Full sun through polycarbonate is still full sun, but without the burning effects of UV despite being dimmer.

I would have bought a lot more plants but my typical order would not have fit in the car so I mostly wanted to look at the stock in advance.

Also I now have a huge amount of respect for N. Lowii, it's hybrids, and the growers with the patience to watch this plant grow to maturity. I saw three different specimens of N xPeter D Amato growing in different environments and it is a fascinating hybrid.

I missed pics of the sales area but thats because I was running around arms flailing amazed at all the stuff there.

1. You can grow Heliamphora in a drink fridge.

Please expand on this and post pictures if you're able. I've considered this for a while and would love to see one successfully functioning. I'm especially interested in how it's being lit. Thanks!

I think it just receives light from the greenhouse if I remember correctly. There were no lights on it when I was there.

Please expand on this and post pictures if you're able. I've considered this for a while and would love to see one successfully functioning. I'm especially interested in how it's being lit. Thanks!

I think it just receives light from the greenhouse if I remember correctly. There were no lights on it when I was there.

Sliding door drink fridge as you would see in a convenience store, a couple rows of strip LED lighting on top with supplimental indirect light through the polycarbonate against a wall on the sales floor. All of the stock was kept there as well as what I'd imagine to be the ultra-highlanders and some drosera. I didn't ask about this because pretty much what you see is what it is.

I have no pictures, I was honestly super busy shopping, there are hundreds of varieties of plants there and I was taking notes for my eventual online order. Call the nursery, Damon sets up everything. The plants were growing in dense clumps for their size and were healthier than a lot of wild specimens I've seen on the interwebs.

You are so lucky, no CP nurseries in my area

Last edited:
When I visited in December there was also what looked like a fogger in the fridge that was emitting steam, presumably to keep the humidity high.

My local friends keep Helis in a tank under T5 lighting with no misting and keep them with highland nepenthes in the same media. Which makes me think they can be windowsilled, at least in my climate which actually can get to the 50's indoors. In terms of difficulty, I've never gotten Darlingtonia right but I've helped with Heli setups more often then not. Sometimes they're not even terribly growers. It gets a bad rap for being slow to grow from juveniles, but it can take a few years for most nepenthes to produce uppers anyway, so I don't think they're that slow plus they don't drop pitchers or anything like slow growing nepenthes.

The protip and general advice I have for cultivation of Heliamphora is that while they like cool moist air in the morning (which is pretty much how all weather works) they do not like it wet, their roots like to search for water and explore the pot, so keeping them waterlogged is going to hamper root growth, and therefore overall plant growth. I've divided clumps that were only about 3 years old from a size "medium" plant that caught no insects that were subjected to the same 2 week 1/3 strength maxsea regimen during the growing season for indoor highland nepenthes.

Back