What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large Nepenthes!?!?

What is the largest & fastest growing highland or intermediate nepenthes ?

For me, it is N. ventrata. I also have a couple other large vines, both of which include spathulata in the hybrid. They are very fast growing for me.

My most aggressive grower is N. maxima dark x talangensis.

I'm not sure you'll find a plant that's both fast and has huge pitchers. The large-pitchered species are often also the slowest. Truncata can appear to be fast if you have many growing points.

As carbonetc states, the larger the pitcher, the greater the likelihood that the plant is very slow growing.

Some of the more 'weedy' Sumatran species can grow relatively rapidly. N. inermis has grown pretty quickly for me, but the most spectacular species are going to be the slowest growing.

Thanks for the responses.. Very interesting to hear what plants grow large for others.

Considering the question, I'm just going to say N. Miranda, since it's readily available.

N. truncata x ovata is quick to vine and hits sizable pitchers every time

uppers:

12234427406_4b2783f287_c.jpg

Lowers:

11147065754_fce2c194f0_c.jpg

Also Vent x ephippiata, a very rapid grower, the internodes are tight, but it makes up for it with leaf span and speed, 2 metres in 2 years and quite a few 6/7 inch pitchers

10623041923_96a7b343ce_n.jpg

Last edited:
Also maxima x spectabilis, long gaps between the internodes and produces about 1.5metres of stem annually

13006546175_330e6ae287_n.jpg

In my conditions (windowsill in winter - low humidity and room temps, balcony in summer - high humidity and high temps) and out of about 31 species, Maxima (tentena) is the quickest for me. Miranda and Ventrata come close but Maxima is much faster.

Here's a big boy for you, freshly opened and standing at over 40cm in height in the red corner....

14239063860_b30bcf97f2_b.jpg

14402544216_43356d7989_b.jpg

Last edited:
Previous pitcher on the same plant, an upper on the 2nd grex using the kinabalu form of lowii and squat truncata, anyone want to lick the spoon?

14424521024_97f26e22fa_b.jpg

14239059988_57a307e12d_b.jpg

Maxima and Spectabilis hybrids usually produce large pitchers and grow fast, but honestly you'll want to keep most small-medium starters for at least a year before they produce any noteworthy pitchers. I would buy the biggest plants you can afford if you're trying to get there faster.

Wow that lowii x truncata is amazing!

Wow those are all amazing plants :) thanks sooo much.. The pictures really helped me visualize it more :)

Back