User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 28

Thread: Stem cuttings and Root cuttings

  1. #9
    Plant Whisperer Bio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    Do cuttings like the conditions to be the same as their parent plant, or do they like more light/water/humidity/heat?
    They should be kept as the mother plant is grown, but should be kept very humid. (95-100%)

  2. #10
    PsychoSarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    They should be kept as the mother plant is grown, but should be kept very humid. (95-100%)
    So a lot like seeds then.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

  3. #11
    theplantman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend only taking cuttings during the warm parts of the growing season.

    I have access to a propagation mist room which is heated all year. Cuttings from Sept-March will just sit there for months without doing anything because even in that environment, the media remains too cold. They wait until spring, and then they root in 4-8 weeks. Many just stagnate and rot. Whereas after March I can root cuttings with no effort and 100% success. To me it's not even worth it to try winter cuttings. I end up stressing and worrying and checking on them more than is sane.

    That being said, I had good success using a terrarium inside the greenhouse this winter, and would also recommend using a heat mat. No idea if photoperiod has an effect but it seems to be mostly soil temperature.
    Last edited by theplantman; 06-13-2014 at 12:24 PM.

  4. #12
    pokie22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are a college student then you should have access to scientific journals. I can not stress how powerful and valuable a resource this is. The universities pay millions of dollars for annual licenses, and as a student you can freely peruse thse. With a little investment into the literature (while learning the scientific jargon), you will discover for yourself that what others deem as impossible is simply a lack of knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. If your college/university has a plant biology department, you can inquire about the incredibly plastic cell states in plants.

  5. #13
    PsychoSarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post
    If you are a college student then you should have access to scientific journals. I can not stress how powerful and valuable a resource this is. The universities pay millions of dollars for annual licenses, and as a student you can freely peruse thse. With a little investment into the literature (while learning the scientific jargon), you will discover for yourself that what others deem as impossible is simply a lack of knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. If your college/university has a plant biology department, you can inquire about the incredibly plastic cell states in plants.
    I just wanted some advice from people who had done nepenthes cutting before is all. I understand the resilience and biology of plants in general.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

  6. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cascadia Subduction Zone
    Posts
    2,113
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to consider cutting or re-cutting the stem underwater and, preferably, in the dark, so as to avoid embolisms from forming in the xylem tissue and the possibility of catastrophic cavitation. Your plant and the cutting will have a much better chance of rooting if you do this, and it's actually a common practice when measuring pressure potential inside plants.

  7. #15
    PsychoSarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually know how to do the cutting itself, how many leaves, what to use to cut the stem, what ways allow for better root formation.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

  8. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cascadia Subduction Zone
    Posts
    2,113
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    I actually know how to do the cutting itself, how many leaves, what to use to cut the stem, what ways allow for better root formation.
    Just a tip..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •