Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Germination!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That whitish stringy mold is bad crap. There looks to be a small chunk of it remaining at the bottom center of this photo.

I am trying to determine what it is, because I get it sprouting from peat moss all the time, but I believe it's Pythium. In which case, definite no-no.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    That whitish stringy mold is bad crap. There looks to be a small chunk of it remaining at the bottom center of this photo.

I am trying to determine what it is, because I get it sprouting from peat moss all the time, but I believe it's Pythium. In which case, definite no-no.
    That stuff no like hydrogen peroxide, which is entirely safe for Nepenthes even when you use it at 3% concentrations, as in the sort you would put on a cut. For plants that like things wetter, I found that frequent top watering controls it, although it doesn't eliminate it, although with chemical sensitive plants such as many drosera that sort of solution might be best.

In any case, it is a seed killer and young plant killer if you leave it to its own devices.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re the fungus:

I recently had some fungus growing in a pot of particularly valuable seeds (to me) and I had no experience in using H2O2. So, I instead picked off all the soil with fungus and it seems to have sorted out the problem.

That said, many people have said that the H2O2 works well at 3%. Im merely throwing out another option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12