Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Germination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Germination!

I haven't posted here lately. My plants haven't done anything remarkable recently, but I thought this was pretty cool.

The Nepenthes Spathulata x Ventricosa seeds I received from this auction germinated (I think)!:

This is my first germination ever, so I'm super excited. I have a few questions. As you can see in the photo, there is some moss and (possibly) algae growing in the pot. Will this be harmful for the seedlings? I am using this product for pest control. The medium is peat and sand in a 1:1 ratio. I have been keeping the pot in normal highland conditions (about 60-75 degrees), spraying it with the pest control periodically. Should I do anything differently now that some of the seeds have germinated?

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by BioZest; 06-13-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are Nepenthes seedlings. You might let it become a little drier, to kill off the moss and algae. Other than that, they look good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm worried that the seedlings will be "killed off" before the moss and algae.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you pluck the moss from around the seedlings before it over grows them they should be fine. The algae generally won't hurt them post germination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news! More sprouts.

The bad news is that the mold is growing in and the first two aren't handling it very well. You can see a little browning on the leaves. Any tips? Should I try to remove the mold by hand or let the pot dry a bit?

Thanks.
    Last edited by BioZest; 07-12-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use a fungicide. I've used Daconil brand in situations like this with good results.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What conditions have you had them in, How long did you have the seeds in there before they germinated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    What conditions have you had them in, How long did you have the seeds in there before they germinated?
    I have them a terrarium so probably 60%-80% humidity and standard highland temps. I just made sure that the soil was "moist but not wet" which I don't really need to worry about any more since the moss grew in. I received the seeds 4/19 and posted as soon as I saw germination, so about 2 months.

Here's a quick update on this pot:

Still at least 5 sprouts and possibly more under the moss. With the introduction of the moss, the algae/fungus problem appears to have dissipated. I think I might try and pluck some of it out from around the seeds to give them more light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast