What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gender list for Nepenthes propagation

Since lots of people like to make crosses with plants from other people on this site, I thought it would be useful for people to list out which plants they have which regularly flower and what gender they are, to make future propagation endeavors easier. Also a place to post which ones you currently have flowering to attract prospective crosses from other people, or to find if anyone has the opposite gender of your favorite species to maintain genetic diversity of the populations so overrun with cuttings and tissue culture clones.

To me, this list is more valuable if people focus on species that flower regularly. If we keep propagating our mutts with other mutts, plants just get muttier. I'm not a huge fan of overly complex hybrids. Unfortunately I don't have any species that flower regularly.

I have a male N. maxima dark x talangensis that won't stop flowering. And I currently have a male N. ventricosa x inermis in flower.

Last edited:
Just wanted to correct you ; plants don't have gender. Gender is a (human) social construct, that is mainly based around around femininity and masculinity. The correct term would be sex, which is determined by reproductive organs and chromosomes. I thought this was important, just in case there are any trans* or non-gender binary folks on this board.

Last edited:
Just wanted to correct you ; plants don't have gender. Gender is a (human) social construct, that is mainly based around around femininity and masculinity. The correct term would be sex, which is determined by reproductive organs and chromosomes. I thought this was important, just in case there are any trans* or non-gender binary folks on this board.

*rolls eyes* whatever floats your boat I guess. I just like to personify my plants

Last edited:
To me, this list is more valuable if people focus on species that flower regularly. If we keep propagating our mutts with other mutts, plants just get muttier. I'm not a huge fan of overly complex hybrids. Unfortunately I don't have any species that flower regularly.

I have a male N. maxima dark x talangensis that won't stop flowering. And I currently have a male N. ventricosa x inermis in flower.

The list is for everyone. If people want to have crosses with names long enough to fit a page so be it, that's their choice.

Unless you want to create a special listing for species only, this is a bit of a redundant notion, since people routinely post on the forum when they have plants in flower and are looking for a mate. Keeping a list isn't likely to improve on what we already do. The number of people who regularly get flowers on their Nepenthes is fairly small, and the percentage of those who aim to generate seeds is smaller still.

But have a go at it if you like. IMO a proper database would be a better format.

PS: it has also occurred to me that if such a list including who owns what plant and what its sex is, would potentially lead to an ongoing stream of members looking to acquire a mate for their plant, aimed at the same people, over and over. I would NOT want people to start nagging me every few weeks to ask "is your so-and-so in flower yet??" Know what I mean? I think the traditional "Hi, I have female X in bloom and would like to find a mate. Please PM me" is preferable as it keeps donor data private.

Last edited:
No one has to post their plants on here if they don't want to.

No one has to post their plants on here if they don't want to.

Of course not. But to tempt people to adopt a new way of doing something, the new approach has to offer some kind of an improvement, advantage or a new feature. I don't see how this offers any of those.

PS: this has already been attempted on another, Nepenthes-specific group and has been met with a lukewarm response: http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=37&action=display&thread=12695

Last edited:
Make it so that people know who has, say, male flowers ahead of time so that if they have a female but it hasn't opened the flowers yet they know directly who to ask for pollen ahead of time so none of the flowers are wasted during the search and shipping.

Pollen can be stored, the female parts really can't, their clocks tick as soon as the flowers open.

Make it so that people know who has, say, male flowers ahead of time so that if they have a female but it hasn't opened the flowers yet they know directly who to ask for pollen ahead of time so none of the flowers are wasted during the search and shipping.

In my experience, persons who have a female approaching open bloom stage announce their search for a male mate weeks in advance of needing the pollen.

Back