Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like that N. boschiana Gunung Sakumbang BE, nice waist
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also really like your bonsai pot/ rock Idea for the campanulata's, so much so that i've copied it today. Hope you don't mind! I bought some volcanic and limestone rock to try out on a few plants. Is your rock limestone? have you noticed any difference in growth since you used the rock?
    I love the smell of nep pollen in the morning..........smells like victory

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's odd. I've seen N. truncata for sale a couple times recently, though only in person at a local nursery. Perhaps I should have bought one, though the price was a little high for my taste.

I have to say I love that boschiana and bicalcarata too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    I know what you two mean. I just want to find another truncata but it's just been impossible. Not a single online nursery carries it. I would have thought availability would increase over the past 5 years instead of decrease. It's just been tough to find a lot of the plants that were available back then. When was the last time you saw a N. Red Dragon for sale? I wonder if the nurseries in the US just sold all their stock and never replenished.
    There was actually one on eBay not too long ago, but besides that I'd say we're pretty hard pressed to find any of the classic EP crosses from retailers, especially since they don't do microprop. I was lucky to get my N. truncata right before they all seemed to disappear from but I never asked where mine came from (I think it's a Pasian highland plant but honestly it's hard to tell).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lowii View Post
    I really like that N. boschiana Gunung Sakumbang BE, nice waist
    I've got to say, it's turned out much nicer than I was expecting judging by its earliest pitchers:
    N. boschiana Sakumbang
    As a side note, I'm really liking all of the seed grown species releases from BE, I was hoping to snag one of their Bario N. veitchii they released but haven't seen any around.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lowii View Post
    Also really like your bonsai pot/ rock Idea for the campanulata's, so much so that i've copied it today. Hope you don't mind! I bought some volcanic and limestone rock to try out on a few plants. Is your rock limestone? have you noticed any difference in growth since you used the rock?
    Feel free, whatever it takes to grow some great N. campanulata! Both N. campanulata have grown with some form of limestone or another for as long as I've had them and the water I use is slightly hard too so I can't really comment on their growth without it.

Nepenthes campanulata

Nepenthes campanulata
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my highlanders get larger and larger, I can't really take them out of the rack for my photoshoot-style photos.

Nepenthes maxima Borone MT
    Nepenthes maxima Borone, Sulawesi MT; this is technically a lowland N. maxima but I grow it as a solid highlander year round.

Nepenthes glandulifera BE
    N. glandulifera BE seedgrown

Nepenthes sp. Langkawi
    N. sp. Langkawi

Nepenthes boschiana Sakumbang BEe basals
    N. boschiana Sakumbang seedgrown BE basals and a Vappodes cane cutting

Some lowlanders:

Nepenthes khasiana
    N. khasiana; while usually considered a highlander, this species is found down to 500 masl and I've had better luck growing it warm. It's also a myth that the species ever experiences frost in habitat.

Nepenthes "thorelii" Kondo (kampotiana?)
    N. "thorelii"; this plant has a long history -- collected in the 1970s by Kondo, probably near Kampot, Cambodia, this plant is very likely N. kampotiana

Nepenthes vieillardii BE
    N. vieillardii BE

Nepenthes campanulata BE
    N. campanulata BE

Nepenthes clipeata Clone U
    N. clipeata Clone U
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A peek at some new things:

Nepenthes singalana Belirang BE
    Nepenthes singalana Gunung Belirang, BE; if this form of the species wasn't so inexpensive I bet people would really appreciate it more. This is my second clone of this form.

Nepenthes copelandii Apo BE
    Another second clone, Nepenthes copelandii Mt. Apo, BE.

Nepenthes sibuyanensis
    A very interesting N. sibuyanensis pitcher. I wouldn't be surprised if this plant has some recent N. argentii admixture.
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That N. Singalana looks very nice. How demanding is it in terms of cultivation? Your right about it being relatively inexpensive. I wouldn't mind picking one up to add to my collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great N. singalana! You have a good point about, perhaps, its price affecting peoples appreciation for it. There are a few plants that are far less interesting morphologically speaking that seem to garner more respect or interest and they do tend to be on the pricey side, so perhaps theres something to this. Also I think rarity has something to do with it. Plants that you're less likely to see are going to be ore interesting to begin with since its not often seen....

I really like your N. vieillardii, it seems to be doing great. That plant can be somewhat finicky IME. how long have you been growing it and any thing you do special?
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    That N. Singalana looks very nice. How demanding is it in terms of cultivation? Your right about it being relatively inexpensive. I wouldn't mind picking one up to add to my collection.
    In my experience, N. singalana is a relatively quick grower and very forgiving as far as Sumatran species go. I've noticed that many Sumatran Nepenthes are pretty finicky or grow in odd bursts for me although N. singalana is not one of them. This is probably one of the only species from Sumatra that I'd say could grow on an average windowsill.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip_Side_the_Pint View Post
    Great N. singalana! You have a good point about, perhaps, its price affecting peoples appreciation for it. There are a few plants that are far less interesting morphologically speaking that seem to garner more respect or interest and they do tend to be on the pricey side, so perhaps theres something to this. Also I think rarity has something to do with it. Plants that you're less likely to see are going to be ore interesting to begin with since its not often seen....

I really like your N. vieillardii, it seems to be doing great. That plant can be somewhat finicky IME. how long have you been growing it and any thing you do special?
    Yeah, I certainly wasn't expecting the N. singalana to look this good on arrival. I'm hoping it will get a little darker, as my other clone seems to be much lighter.

As for the N. vieillardii, I've had it since late January and grow it in the same mix the nursery grew it in (a mix of perlite, kanuma, silica sand, and some peat) and let it go slightly dry between waterings. It grows with my other lowlanders, including N. campanulata, N. northiana, and N. clipeata under humid but well-ventilated lowland conditions (70-82 F). Like all of my Nepenthes, I feed it pretty heavily with fish food, which helped this plant put on size pretty quickly as you can see:

N. vieillardii BE
    Here it is in March, 2 months after acquisition.

Nepenthes vieillardii BE
    Nepenthes vieillardii BE
    And in August, ~7 months after acquisition

It's a great species that always has multiple pitchers on it. I honestly don't pay much attention to it but I'm really excited that it's putting on some size now.
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it very interesting that you find N. singalana to be very easy/forgiving. Of all the Nepenthes I currently own (which I admit is not many) it's the only one that is not growing what I would consider normally (no pitchers for a while then suddenly a tiny pitcher on the oldest leaf) and grows very slowly. I have a "Tujuh" clone if that helps.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast