Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaniana and Friends

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're quite ugly when young, huh? Hopefully mature pitchers will prove out as proper echino's and make up for the limp lettuce leaves
    Even my own have yet to produce anything striking, or any pitchers more than 1.5" tall....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Christer, was waiting to respond to you with something you might like. It seems like these MT plants take a long time to settle in.
    Maybe takes some time to get started, but seeing pics of this species, it is worth the wait. I haven't been able to track one down yet.

Despite quickly approaching a foot across in diameter, I am humbled by the fact that wild N. chaniana pitchers easily get that tall
    It seems to do well for you. With some luck you will have a plant like this in a few years : )

I will probably get another chaniana to try as well. Apparently from the same location as the MT clone, but from another source. Noticed your kongkandana. I have been pondering a while now if I should get one of those, might let one tag along on the same order. It seems to take forever for this species to get published, thus making the name official.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    They're quite ugly when young, huh? Hopefully mature pitchers will prove out as proper echino's and make up for the limp lettuce leaves
    Even my own have yet to produce anything striking, or any pitchers more than 1.5" tall....
    Haha, the nice thing about thin leaves is that the plant doesn't spend time making a waxy cuticle. These lowlanders grow much faster than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by christerb View Post
    Maybe takes some time to get started, but seeing pics of this species, it is worth the wait. I haven't been able to track one down yet.

It seems to do well for you. With some luck you will have a plant like this in a few years : )

I will probably get another chaniana to try as well. Apparently from the same location as the MT clone, but from another source. Noticed your kongkandana. I have been pondering a while now if I should get one of those, might let one tag along on the same order. It seems to take forever for this species to get published, thus making the name official.

Regards,

Christer
    Hey Christer, I'm glad that you were right. This is, by far, the nicest pitcher N. faizaliana is actually N. maxima Borone has ever made for me (even with the crooked lid). The plant is quite tall but shows no inclination to vine just yet, which is a shame since I think the uppers on this species are much nicer.

Here is the most recent pitcher on the N. chaniana MT. This plant seems to throw out squatter pitchers.

I am sad to say that it is still growing strangely. I cannot be sure but it seems like warm nights of 60 F coincide with smaller leaves and leaf notching, as this has happened every summer for me. I was hoping that the plant was out of its awkward phase...

N. kongkandana should be a nice addition. This is a picture of the plant my cutting came from.

-----

BE N. chaniana growing strong

Putting on size quickly

N. glandulifera -- new pitcher!

Every new leaf is bigger on the N. villosa despite the warmish days and nights of August
    Last edited by Clue; 07-18-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: mis-id
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its getting there! Yeah, the uppers are very nice. When I saw the pic in Clarke's book of the pitcher with the sun bird perched on it, it went on my want-list. Nice color on that kongkandana pitcher. N. glandulifera is also on my want-list. I noticed that BE had bred their plants, and had seedlings. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a European source on them. In 2004 I had the opportunity to get seedlings of that one, and N. platychila. Since both were quite expensive, I only got the latter. I hadn't anticipated that N. glandulifera would be the more difficult species to acquire the coming years.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. chaniana BE -- seems like the pink flush is decreasing quickly; not sure if it's due to warm nights or growing up, but I think it's the latter.

N. glandulifera -- another new pitcher; this plant grows much faster than either of the N. chaniana plants

N. nigra recently doubled its pitcher size -- looks like it's teething
    Plant List ; blog

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH god. Dat photo quality

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. villosa with teeth -- that was faster than I thought.
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah! This one is beautiful!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    Woah! This one is beautiful!
    Thanks, I think that the Nepenthes clipeata-ish look that it has makes up for the fact that it's such a slow grower.
    ---
    I recently lost a bunch of plants, mostly cuttings, to an unfortunate accident. Alas, life goes on (although I'm willing to bet that they're not going to be easy to replace)...

N. chaniana MT, looking much the same as ever. It was very hard to get it out of the rack today because it's about one foot across now.

N. chaniana BE -- the pink flush has disappeared despite the increasing light of a low-hanging autumnal sun.

N. glandulifera BE -- decided that red was a good look (also glands, which just appeared)

N. boschiana Sakumbang -- first pitcher in my care

Plain old N. ventricosa

Plain old N. graciliflora

Another common one -- N. fusca x maxima (I think this is the same thing as N. "Gentle")

I've never been able to capture the color well on this one; N. 'Peter D'Amato' x maxima
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. chaniana BE

N. boschiana Sakumbang

N. graciliflora

N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae)

N. nigra