Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaniana and Friends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see n.chaniana growing well,especially when I look at my sorry specimen
    Last edited by corky; 11-22-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post

Plain old N. ventricosa
    That is a really nice looking clone!!
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lovely photos, i hope my chaniana ends up being that nice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    That is a really nice looking clone!!
    As far as I know, it's not a clone (not a tissue culture one, anyways); it came from a cutting in a botanical garden. Here's an upper from the mother plant. It's like a pale N. ventricosa Red more than any of the porcelain types.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep Lover View Post
    lovely photos, i hope my chaniana ends up being that nice
    Thanks. If the N. chaniana came from BE, it'll be exactly the same as they only have one clone. It's growing up to be quite a nice one though.
    Last edited by Clue; 11-25-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that ventricosa ever makes a basal or you root a cutting, make sure you give me a call! I'd be willing to pay for it!

A ventricosa shockingly similar to that one is the plant that got me into Nepenthes, and ive been on a hunt to get my hands on one.
    Last edited by Sashoke; 11-26-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. chaniana MT

In the handful of years it took me to grow out the MT clone, the BE one has practically caught up in 6 months.

N. chaniana x veitchii

N. glandulifera -- looks like I got one of the runts of the litter, but it's getting there.

After I killed my N. pervillei () I dismantled my lowland setup and pitched my lowlanders into the highland rack. Most of them didn't seem to notice, but N. albomarginata is pretty fussy and slow; it's just starting to grow again.

N. sanguinea intermediate -- this is the Agristarts clone as far as I know.

I ordered some plants from a retailer in Massachusetts in October; they came with earthworms, root rot, and scale. One of them died very quickly, the other one is this N. vogelii. The growth point is shot now but it did throw out this pitcher recently. I sent the company an email with my concerns, but alas, it went unanswered (they still send me promotional deals for frogs though...).

One of the N. aff. bongso that originally came from Paul. I think it has some N. izumiae in it.

N. ventricosa -- a little worn out

N. graciliflora intermediate

I don't know why people complain about N. Ventrata. Thanks again, Corey!
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The chanianas look great (the others too). I got another chaniana from BCP, actually received several small plants. Appear healthy, and the biggest pitcher have a reddish blush. Should disappear as it grows bigger though. I finally managed to get my hands on a N. glandulifera. Also small, but I can't complain about the growth rate. Hopefully that will increase even more, when I will be able to feed the first pitcher. Too bad about the vogelli. Mine have not prospered, started to grow two side shoots. I finally cut one off, and have rooted it. I am now testing to grow the other in lower humidity, to see if that might be a solution.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by christerb View Post
    Hi,

The chanianas look great (the others too). I got another chaniana from BCP, actually received several small plants. Appear healthy, and the biggest pitcher have a reddish blush. Should disappear as it grows bigger though. I finally managed to get my hands on a N. glandulifera. Also small, but I can't complain about the growth rate. Hopefully that will increase even more, when I will be able to feed the first pitcher. Too bad about the vogelli. Mine have not prospered, started to grow two side shoots. I finally cut one off, and have rooted it. I am now testing to grow the other in lower humidity, to see if that might be a solution.

Regards,

Christer
    N. glandulifera is a pretty quick grower for me compared to N. chaniana, and mine is big enough to feed now, so I'm seeing a decent increase in size. Stripes are also setting in. I haven't heard of anyone really having trouble with N. vogelii, so I hope that ours pull through. I have also moved my N. vogelii to a drier and more ventilated spot to keep growth point dry.

--

N. nigra -- I guess that the colors come in like N. hamata: slowly

N. bongso -- I'm not familiar with the Nepenthes of Sumatra, so the concept of N. bongso/singalana/izumiae is fuzzy for me. The lamina is practically identical to my N. x Pyriformis. But teeth!

N. faizaliana -- this plant has always stressed for me over the winter, might be because it's too bright and cool. Still getting malformed pitchers... (also I wasn't aware that this species made appendages at the tip of the lid like N. fusca, I thought that it was limited to the basal lid crest in N. faizaliana)
    EDIT 7/18/15: this plant is actually N. maxima Borone
    Last edited by Clue; 07-18-2015 at 07:52 PM.
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear N.nigra/hamata take a while to start coloring up. I was kind of worried I got a dud since my N.hamata x burkei is the same color as your nigra.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngantnier View Post
    Glad to hear N.nigra/hamata take a while to start coloring up. I was kind of worried I got a dud since my N.hamata x burkei is the same color as your nigra.
    Several years ago, when I was younger and greener, I did have an AW N. hamata (now deceased ):

All of the AW clones get the nice dark purple mottling the species is known for later on. Actually, N. nigra seems to take less time to color up than N. hamata, as the N. hamata in this picture was larger and still completely green compared to the N. nigra I have now that's showing red spots and streaks.
    Plant List ; blog

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast