What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. campanulata hybrid

My two campanulata and my campanulata X ventricosa are growing well as lowlanders, one camp is even in flower (and g forever to open up).
I use a shallow water tray on the hybrid and one pure camp, the other gets daily misting (2 times a day), the soils are peat, basalt, sand, spag mixes and the humidity fluctuates, one gets as low as 50% the other never goes below 70%, the big thing seems to be sunlight, they love several hors of full sun, without it they don't pitcher for me.

So that might be what's wrong with mine. It is in the shadows of other plants that have now grown a canopy over it. Thankfully I'm planning on redoing the terrarium.

So... What hybrid the above is? I'm looking at some Camp hybrids in case my pure species doesn't make it. Any recommendations? These are the options:

- Nepenthes campanulata x robcantleyi
- Nepenthes lowii x campanulata
- Nepenthes merilliana x campanulata
- Nepenthes truncata x campanulata
- Nepenthes spathulata x campanulata

Looking at the pictures in the web, I like the last one (Carmen) the most.

It's a very complex hybrid with partially unknown parents (large, red pitchered plants from Thailand), but, basically, it looks most like a thorelli x campanulata hybrid (as seen on CP PhotoFinder).

I'm not sure I've seen any of those hybrids, except lowii x campy. It looks pretty impressive. Most of those are going to be intermediate plants, so they should be much more tolerant of a range of conditions than pure lowlanders.

I have never seen a Nepenthes merilliana x campanulata nor a Nepenthes truncata x campanulata, but they sound impressive, the problem with my camp X vent is that it is tiny, the plant is full grown at 25cm tall and a diameter of about 30cm, has many basal shoots and the largest trap is 15cm, the good thing is that the trap looks a lot like a campanulata, but with some red flecks, the hybrid is also very shade tolerant and is happy getting no full sun just filtered light.

I say full grown as it got to that size a pretty much halted growth from the main stem, but the basals are powering on..

I have never seen a Nepenthes merilliana x campanulata nor a Nepenthes truncata x campanulata, but they sound impressive, the problem with my camp X vent is that it is tiny, the plant is full grown at 25cm tall and a diameter of about 30cm, has many basal shoots and the largest trap is 15cm, the good thing is that the trap looks a lot like a campanulata, but with some red flecks, the hybrid is also very shade tolerant and is happy getting no full sun just filtered light.

I say full grown as it got to that size a pretty much halted growth from the main stem, but the basals are powering on..

Sounds perfect to me, I love small plants

Does anyone have a N. Campanulata x Maxima? I just received one from Wistuba and would just like to know does it grow big (like maybe maxima would suggest)? Also noticed that someone calls it N. x "Caladium". Is this a specific cross from a specific grower or a more common name?

I've got both N. campanulata x maxima AW clone (AW means Andreas Wistuba) and N. Caladium which is a grex made by Sam Estes at Leilani Hapu'u Nepenthes Nursery of N. maxima x campanulata. The Wistuba cross is horribly slow compared to Caladium.

I got a very nice n. veitchii x campanulata from dean cook a few years back green with a few pink stripes on the lip, slow growing in the windowsill but nice.

I have a merrilliana x campanulata that grows really well in varying conditions, and while so far the pitchers haven't exceeded 5" tall I have no doubt with enough room that will be a large hybrid eventually. I have seedlings of 'Rokko' x (maxima x campanulata), but don't know how those will turn out yet. Also have (spathulata x campy) x ventricosa, also still small and that seems to be the main trait campy passes on: either the hybrid is small or it takes a long time to get to size.

Thanks all. It's definitely quite big already, about 20 cm accross (8") and pitchers about 12 cm (5"). I was trying to get a N. Merrilliana x Campanulata this year but no one had it available. If you know someone who might have it (and deliver to EU), please let me know.

They do very well in lowland conditions. But I pot most of them in burnt earth or other similar media.

I grow:
N. campanulata
N. campanulata x veitchii
N. ventricosa x campanulata
N. lowii x campanulata
N. maxima x campanulata
N. campanulata x chaniana

N. maxima x campanulata from Wistuba is a gem. That's the pitcher the plant came with in April but it has since put out 4 new pitchers. I'll post again once I get to photograph the plant.
campanulata_x_maxima_zpsths4alpa.jpg

Last edited:
N. campanulata x maxima - my newest fav

Last edited:
Very nice, Cindy. Here's mine (still bagged from delivery), also from AW:

CampanulataMaxima3.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't posted anything since 2009 but if there's anything to get me posting again its Campanulata hybrids. I LOVE seeing everyone's pics and had to share.

Here are my two newest faves,..
Nepenthes campanulata x robcantleyi
putting on some size

campanulata%20x%20robcantleyi_web_zpszfl1fboh.jpg

and last but not least
Nepenthes spathulata x campanulata

spathulata%20x%20campanulata2_web_zpsvqvzk8zx.jpg

Ive had both of these for about a year now. Both seem to be pretty easy, campanulata x robcantleyi is a bit slow but steady. The spathulata x campanulata is a really fast grower.

Last edited:
Maybe not the best shape I've seen, but your campy x rc probably has the best color I've seen in that hybrid yet!

Thanks hcarlton :) Unfortunately the pitcher in that last photo (while the largest) is relatively new and grew a bit shaded, they seem to be a little more colorful on my plant if they get more light while growing, they also seem to color up darker with age. I'm really curious as to how large this freaky thing will get?

Nepenthes campanulata x robcantleyi

N. Campanulata x Maxima has opened its first pitcher in my care. I just love the Campanulata type pitcher shape!

CampanulataMaxima6.jpg

Back