Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Highlander Habitat Help

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlander Habitat Help

Hey guys. Not so long ago, I decided to get back into Nepenthes growing, as they are just an epic species of carnivorous plant. Definitely my favorite.
    As this is my summer of projects, I decided to go all out and drop some money on all the terrarium supplies I would need and build a very nice Highland pitcher environment,
    specifically for Nepenthes Hamata. Now heres my question.

Im planning on getting a Hamata soon, but the opportunity also arose that I may be able to get an Edwardsiana as well. Will the two of these be able to grow and thrive together
    in the same terrarium? Ive heard a few people say its a good combo together, But I wanted a few extra opinions from Terraforum.

Also, any growing info on the Edward would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any knowledge of growing it. Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not grow eddies, but I will say that people grow them under ultra highlander and intermediate conditions. What I'm guessing is the eddie is very small. You should probably bag it up and not expose it to heat until it's been hardened off. All this being said I sadly do not possess an edwardsiana (though I am buying a hamata!)

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow hamata, and, if it weren't for it's price tag I'd consider it a great beginners highlander. It isn't anywhere near as hard as it is said to be. I'd say it's only slightly more difficult than N. tentaculata.

N. edwardsiana is a bit harder, especially as a small plant. It is very slow growing, but makes jumps in leaf size occasionally. Temp-wise, it should be about the same as hamata, somewhere in the fifties at night, but it can take cooler. If the temps are cooler than 50 at night, day temps should rise to at least the high seventies to avoid what I call insidious rot syndrome, where it slowly rots out from underneath itself unbeknownst to you until it's far too late. I am unfortunately speaking from experience here.

No matter which you get, they are both solid highlanders which will need temperatures in the fifties at night, with high humidity.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I grow hamata, and, if it weren't for it's price tag I'd consider it a great beginners highlander. It isn't anywhere near as hard as it is said to be. I'd say it's only slightly more difficult than N. tentaculata.

N. edwardsiana is a bit harder, especially as a small plant. It is very slow growing, but makes jumps in leaf size occasionally. Temp-wise, it should be about the same as hamata, somewhere in the fifties at night, but it can take cooler. If the temps are cooler than 50 at night, day temps should rise to at least the high seventies to avoid what I call insidious rot syndrome, where it slowly rots out from underneath itself unbeknownst to you until it's far too late. I am unfortunately speaking from experience here.

No matter which you get, they are both solid highlanders which will need temperatures in the fifties at night, with high humidity.
    Thanks man, valuable info. I can easily give them temps 70+ and high humidity, but I did not know they need temp drops to the 50s.. How would I go about doing something like that? Icecubes in a bowl? Haha.
    And the high temps should keep away the rot?

Also, would the lights im currently using work for these 2 species?
    Accupro AFL/F14T5/14W/865. Hg. I have 2 of these in a light fixture with my cacti. The other plants like
    Catnip and pachypodium absolutely love them.
    Last edited by NemJones; 06-29-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamata isn't hard?!
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    Hamata isn't hard?!
    Not for me. It was my first true highlander, and is the second easiest highlander I grow, next to inermis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamata gets much easier after it gains some size. It's getting to that point that's the trick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay!
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast