Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More neps to consider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    No. There are species which went extinct in the wild but are in such numbers in captivity that they aren't endangered. If we can't hope to save the environment which these species live in in the wild, I feel preserving them in captivity as a viable option.
    No, no and NO!
    The problem isn't that the site is at risk of development (as is often the case with these endangered species) its that the government in the region does not care about such matters and will not enforce any control over poaching. Its all about the site being poached, year after year, without any force being applied to stop it.

The environment the species inhabits is in an isolated region and the only threat the species faces is from poachers who sell the seeds on fleabay.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    No, no and NO!
    The problem isn't that the site is at risk of development (as is often the case with these endangered species) its that the government in the region does not care about such matters and will not enforce any control over poaching. Its all about the site being poached, year after year, without any force being applied to stop it.

The environment the species inhabits is in an isolated region and the only threat the species faces is from poachers who sell the seeds on fleabay.
    I must agree. If the dominant law-enforcing power in the region cares nothing about an issue, it will not do anything about it unless given a good reason to by someone. Even then, if it decides to take no action or finds the reason impractical, then nothing will change unless someone else does something. Experienced thieves know exactly what they are doing and how to do it. If no one stops them, they'll just keep on going.

Perhaps we can preserve endangered species in captivity, but that isn't the point here. The point is that we must prevent these species from becoming endangered IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    Last edited by Plant Planter; 07-01-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    The key is to prevent these species from becoming endangered IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    Exactly.

Nepenthes newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    There are species which went extinct in the wild but are in such numbers in captivity that they aren't endangered.
    That's completely contradictory. Species that no longer exist in their historic range are considered extinct in the wild by the IUCN. There could be thousands of the plants in captivity or out of their natural distribution, but the fact is, they are still considered extinct in the wild.

When such plants are grown in the captivity, reintroducing them into the wild is very difficult, considering the survival rates in the wild are much smaller than in controlled environments. It isn't an efficient way to conserve the species ; rather, preventing the species from ever getting to that point is much more effective.
    Last edited by Dante1709; 07-01-2014 at 12:14 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, governments only cares about money and could care less about the beautiful species and environments they grow in, so they will waste no time in protecting them.
    Who wants to start a protection agency with me and harass climbers at the base of cloud forest mountains?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find Nepenthes spathulata on Ebay from time to time; in fact that was how I acquired mine.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante1709 View Post
    ...rather, preventing the species from ever getting to that point is much more effective.
    Just like what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante1709 View Post
    When such plants are grown in the captivity, reintroducing them into the wild is very difficult, considering the survival rates in the wild are much smaller than in controlled environments.
    Exactly. Unless the controlled environment is exactly like the native environment, reintroduction is not easy. Many plants, especially carnivorous plants, are very finicky about their ambient conditions and some plants will even react to being moved a mere few feet. Considering other captivity factors such as the absence of pests, environmental fluctuations (or the lack thereof), and how much plants are disturbed when moving them to be reintroduced, it's better just to prevent these species from ever becoming endangered.
    Last edited by Plant Planter; 07-01-2014 at 12:22 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    You can find Nepenthes spathulata on Ebay from time to time; in fact that was how I acquired mine.
    Ive been combing through Ebay, but no luck finding one. However.... there is a beautiful baby Truncata Pasian about 3" wide that I dont think Im going to let slip away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast