Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More neps to consider

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More neps to consider

Hello Everyone. I have decided that I need to add a couple more neps to the collection and I would like a little more help from Terraforums.
    First off, I was looking at Nepenthes Truncata. However, I also found one listed under Nepenthes Pasian Truncata (tissue cultured from borneo). Is there any difference? (Im looking to get the larger of the species, as they will catch mice.)

Next I was looking at trying my hand at some Nepenthes Aristolochioides seeds.
    I was also looking for Nepenthes Spathulata, however it seems nobody has them in stock. How are these and how well/fast do they grow?

If anyone can offer info about any of these species, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by NemJones; 07-01-2014 at 03:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truncata paisan is a fairly easy plant like most truncatas, it probably would prefer intermediate temperatures. As for aristo seeds, you shouldn't bother mainly because aristo is a very difficult ultra highlander and growing from seed usually takes a few years before you see any satisfactory results. n. spathulata Is also easy! You might want to try one of its hybrids if you can't find one for sale, spathulata x glabrata is a nice one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    As for aristo seeds, you shouldn't bother mainly because aristo is a very difficult ultra highlander and growing from seed usually takes a few years before you see any satisfactory results.
    Plus the fact that most seeds are poached from the wild & likely to be non-viable anyway. If you want to grow the species, get a TC clone from BE or Wistuba - as that doesn't hurt native populations.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Plus the fact that most seeds are poached from the wild & likely to be non-viable anyway. If you want to grow the species, get a TC clone from BE or Wistuba - as that doesn't hurt native populations.
    PLUS the fact that N. aristolochioides seeds are being poached from a tiny population in the wild that is now considered critically endangered -- that means the population is already so small that it is no longer self-sustaining. Buying poached seeds of such an endangered species is to be discouraged - period. (Unconscionable is the word I would use) Please, please do not buy N. aristolochioides seed poached from the wild!

That said, N. aristolochioides is a very challenging species and will not tolerate deviation from a very limited temperature range. If daytime highs approach 75F or warmer, this species starts to suffer. Nights must consistently drop to 55F at least for long term survival of the plant. For three years now, I have maintained a highland greenhouse meticulously engineered to accomodate every need of highland species - some of which are regarded as very challenging - and my N. aristolochioides is still acclimating to my conditions after 15 months in my care.

As for N. truncata - a much easier plant and much more readily available - the Pasian variant is regarded as being more of an intermediate/highland species, where many other variants are warm growers, so choose according to the conditions you can offer it.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 07-01-2014 at 06:30 AM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow. 15 months? Nevermind on that plant, Im good. No possible way I could provide such perfect settings. By the way, If anyone wants to look into this guy, go for it. I didnt think about poaching till someone said something.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nepenthes-Ar...item20e83f2208 This guy has alot of seeds and he lives in Indonesia. Something feels off now.

Also, will the highland or lowland Truncata produce more intricate pitchers? (wings/teeth of peristome)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that population is no longer self sustaining, wouldn't it be better if people effortfully took the seeds and gave proper environments to allow for maximum potential germination, and then reintroduced some into the wild?

Additionally, while people might not like to hear this, going extinct in the wild isn't so bad if decent populations remain in captivity, in fact some species of plants and animals have been relatively successful with that arrangement.

Of course, this isn't an argument in favor of poaching of course, I view it as more of a conservation effort to guarantee the survival of the species. With the wild population already reduced that far I don't see a point in just leaving it alone to slowly dwindle out of existence.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    If that population is no longer self sustaining, wouldn't it be better if people effortfully took the seeds and gave proper environments to allow for maximum potential germination, and then reintroduced some into the wild?

Additionally, while people might not like to hear this, going extinct in the wild isn't so bad if decent populations remain in captivity, in fact some species of plants and animals have been relatively successful with that arrangement.

Of course, this isn't an argument in favor of poaching of course, I view it as more of a conservation effort to guarantee the survival of the species. With the wild population already reduced that far I don't see a point in just leaving it alone to slowly dwindle out of existence.
    I don't even know how to address some of this. Are you just trolling??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I don't even know how to address some of this. Are you just trolling??
    No. There are species which went extinct in the wild but are in such numbers in captivity that they aren't endangered. If we can't hope to save the environment which these species live in in the wild, I feel preserving them in captivity as a viable option.
    Last edited by PsychoSarah; 07-01-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast