Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poaching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poaching

Is there any way to report people who poach Nepenthes seeds and sell them on ebay? It really bothers me that people do this

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...html#reporting
    Reporting policy violations

If you see a listing that violates one of our policies, report it by clicking Report item in the listing.

If we determine that a listing has violated a policy, we email the seller and the bidders or the buyer to let them know that we've removed the listing from eBay.
    Good luck. Ebay has dumbed down the reporting process and just has a limited drop down of categories of why you are reporting the item. I've reported endangered species sales of Sarracenia seeds before. Ebay never got back to me nor did have they removed the listings. They don't have a category on the drop down for plants or seeds.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, filed two reports. There's a category for plants, animals, and wildlife now in the reports.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question:

How do you distinguish the difference between seed poached form wild plants vs. seeds collected from propagated plants? Region could certainly play a part, certainly, but not conclusively, unless the seller is openly stating they were collected from wild plants (which may or may not be in accordance with local law.)

A label of "endangered" alone does not mean trade is illegal. In some cases, endangered species are legitimately propagated and sold in the name of conservation. Wollemi pine comes to mind, and I could cite a few examples with animals, too, where the captive population far outnumbers the wild population, thus making trade in that species completely legal.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the problem Im running into. literally every seed that looks awesome on ebay, members here are telling me theyre poached.
    There is no sure fire way to say if theyre legit or not and that bugs me quite a bit. Ebay wont take down listings either because
    in reality, nobody knows except the seller, and even if they did contact the seller or even saw the plant the seeds CAME from,
    nobody will have a conclusive answer.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are bidding on Nepenthes Aristolochioides from area near Mt.Tujuh (West Sumatra province
    Could this be your answer?
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    Could this be your answer?
    Yes. That is the only answer you need consider. If someone offers to sell you Nepenthes aristolochioides seeds, you can be 99.99% certain they have been poached from the species habitat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Yes. That is the only answer you need consider. If someone offers to sell you Nepenthes aristolochioides seeds, you can be 99.99% certain they have been poached from the species habitat.
    What a shame. You know I actually saw all these seeds and considered getting some before noticing they might be poached, but before even then I noticed with the shipping time that by the time they got to me their viability would be significantly reduced
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast