What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Tenting Adventure

The Great Tenting Adventure begins…

While living in the tropics has many advantages, termites are not one of them. We have to get our house tented tomorrow so I had to move over half of my plants out from under the roof line of the house.

Before:

Moved out:

Temp Location:

They will tent tomorrow and then it will take days to get everything back together…..

Great pics. Sad about the critters tho. Hard to fight with a critter eating your house. Have you sprayed the plants? Is there any chance of stowaways in your plant material?

Beautiful collection. I hope nothing suffers as a result of the ordeal. It sucks that you're having to go to such extremes to get rid of your termite problem, but hopefully this will be the last time you have to do this. :)

Geez, what fun, Keith. Just what you needed to do in your copious spare time! Good luck. May the resorting process be as painless as possible.

From the photos it appears that you, too, have a very high level of plant addiction...... AWESOME!!!!

What a hassle to move such a large collection! Do those brown hanging baskets work well for Nepenthes? I'm thinking about getting some myself.

I love your huge 'Miranda' vine. Even a hybrid as common as that can look spectacular at sizes like that.

Sorry about the termites, I didn't even know there were termites in Hawaii. I take it they're not native.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement!

I am glad I only had to move about half of the plants.... It is a good reason to do some repotting as I put everything back where it belongs.

My wife has decided that the ground cover along the side of the house is overgrown so there will be additional moves next week and beyond... The good news is that I think I will get another 4' x 10' nepenthes table out of the deal, but only time will tell...

Bio, as for termites in Hawaii, yes we have both dry wood (flying) and subterranean terminates and since the climate is so mild there is nothing to slow them down... Tenting every five years with spot treatments along the way is standard practice.

The brown hanging pots work ok, but have to be replaced a bit too often for my taste. I couldn't pass them up when they were on clearance....

Waiting on the tent crew now

You never quite realize what you have till you have to move it.:)

You never quite realize what you have till you have to move it.:)

The one time I wish my collection was much smaller....

The tent is off and most of the stuff in the house (food, meds, etc.) have been put back in place. Next comes the clean up outside and the relocation. I plan to repot, take cuttings, etc. as I move them back so it will take several days, but should go a long ways toward getting everything back in tip-top shape...

After moving half of my collection they tented the house for 24 hours….

Wow, and I thought fumigating my Basement was bad enough....

I take it homeowners insurance covers most, if not all, of that hassle?

Unfortunately, homeowner's insurance doesn't pay a dime. Just another cost of living in Paradise......

Wow, and I thought fumigating my Basement was bad enough....

I take it homeowners insurance covers most, if not all, of that hassle?

Checked to see if Mr. White has been in the house?

Walter white ,breaking bad:-D you probably don't get my comment on proboards either then :-(

Last edited:
You are correct.... I didn't get the reference. Between work and school I don't get out much.......

Walter white ,breaking bad:-D you probably don't get my comment on proboards either then :-(

The tent has been off for a week now and I still have a lot of work to do, but I am making progress. I had to work most of the week so it has been taking a lot longer than I had hoped, but I am also taking the time to repot and conduct some long overdue maintenance.

The benches are slowly starting to fill up…

The crew was a bit rough of the gutters…

I also took some time to take pictures of many of the plants….
N x Song of Melancholy upper

N maxima Lake Poso upper

N pectinata Purple x boschiana

N truncata x merrilliana(a)

N tenuis

N bokorensis x (spectabilis x veitchii)

N mirabilis x (viking x rafflesiana)

N ventricosa x carunculata var robusta

N x Benevolence - spathulata x 'Hong Kong' [C0624]

N x Anubis - spathulata (thorelii x densiflora)

N x Laputa - sanguinea x merrilliana Large

N (eymae x maxima) x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii]

N treubiana (Andamata)

N x Patience - sanguinea x (veitchii x (maxima x veitchii))

N boschiana x (spectabilis x veitchii)

Back