Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great Tenting Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Great Tenting Adventure

The Great Tenting Adventure begins…

While living in the tropics has many advantages, termites are not one of them. We have to get our house tented tomorrow so I had to move over half of my plants out from under the roof line of the house.

Before:

Moved out:

Temp Location:

They will tent tomorrow and then it will take days to get everything back together…..
    Check out my Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics. Sad about the critters tho. Hard to fight with a critter eating your house. Have you sprayed the plants? Is there any chance of stowaways in your plant material?
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful collection. I hope nothing suffers as a result of the ordeal. It sucks that you're having to go to such extremes to get rid of your termite problem, but hopefully this will be the last time you have to do this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, what fun, Keith. Just what you needed to do in your copious spare time! Good luck. May the resorting process be as painless as possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the photos it appears that you, too, have a very high level of plant addiction...... AWESOME!!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a hassle to move such a large collection! Do those brown hanging baskets work well for Nepenthes? I'm thinking about getting some myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your huge 'Miranda' vine. Even a hybrid as common as that can look spectacular at sizes like that.

Sorry about the termites, I didn't even know there were termites in Hawaii. I take it they're not native.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement!

I am glad I only had to move about half of the plants.... It is a good reason to do some repotting as I put everything back where it belongs.

My wife has decided that the ground cover along the side of the house is overgrown so there will be additional moves next week and beyond... The good news is that I think I will get another 4' x 10' nepenthes table out of the deal, but only time will tell...

Bio, as for termites in Hawaii, yes we have both dry wood (flying) and subterranean terminates and since the climate is so mild there is nothing to slow them down... Tenting every five years with spot treatments along the way is standard practice.

The brown hanging pots work ok, but have to be replaced a bit too often for my taste. I couldn't pass them up when they were on clearance....

Waiting on the tent crew now
    Check out my Growlist

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast