User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on my N.Aristolochioides Black pitcher's.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Claims of "water purity" are frequently bogus, as the term "pure" is broad and undefined. Be on the safe side, and use Distilled, Rainwater or Reverse osmosis water.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very difficult to get a room down to 50f for the whole night with just an air conditioner, in order to grow these highland plants you must have a specific set-up designed for the purpose of giving them the exact conditions they require. A lot of beginner nurseries like to advertise that you can easily grow carnivorous plants on a windowsill but in reality that simply isn't true for some species (unless your windowsill coincidentally has the right conditions for HL neps.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    There MUST BE a day/night temperature differential of at least 15F for this species. 50F at night and 75F in the day is ideal. The pot MUST have drain holes or the roots will rot very quickly. Fix these two issues and you might get it into shape. It would be a good idea to find out what the mineral content of your drinking water is (find out what the dissolved minerals actually are, and what PPM concentration) rather than just assuming.

As Luca has stated, this is likely the Borneo Exotics aristolochioides*, which is known for being very fussy and intolerant of inappropriate climate conditions.

*This is the most common clone in commerce.
    I can arrange the temperature differences! And i will replant in my plastic pot today. How do i measure ppm? At witch level it's the most optimal? I have i PH meter. Sorry for my unknowing.
    I really hope it will live trough this! Thank you a good reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    Claims of "water purity" are frequently bogus, as the term "pure" is broad and undefined. Be on the safe side, and use Distilled, Rainwater or Reverse osmosis water.
    Yeah you are right. I will buy distilled water today and try it out! Thanks.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what systems you have over there for water quality. You may be able to take a sample of your water somewhere for testing, or your local water cleaning facility may have that information. I would start by calling the people who provide your water (the ones who also provide you with the bill) and asking them if they know what the PPM is, or know where you could get it tested.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nillsx View Post
    It's some of the best water in the world(that i read). In Sweden we have laws for sorting and recycling. So the purity it's absolutely top.
    I live in Denmark, and I think our water situation is probably similar. While we too tend to be very proud of our water, which is very good drinking water as is (with no need to add things like chlorine), it is "hard" water, which means it has high levels of calcium for example. I know in some areas of Sweden there is quite a lot of iron in the water, too. So yeah, like others have said: what defines "good water" depends completely on the context - drinking water or CP water or whatever. (:
    (I use rainwater for my plants)
    Last edited by Nannanep; 07-17-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    It's very difficult to get a room down to 50f for the whole night with just an air conditioner, in order to grow these highland plants you must have a specific set-up designed for the purpose of giving them the exact conditions they require. A lot of beginner nurseries like to advertise that you can easily grow carnivorous plants on a windowsill but in reality that simply isn't true for some species (unless your windowsill coincidentally has the right conditions for HL neps.)
    My AC can go down to 42-43F at the lowest. It's a small room, and yes you are right it takes a bit time to get the room so cold. Well i will at-least try it. Yeah it sure didn't sound like this hard there i bought this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    I don't know what systems you have over there for water quality. You may be able to take a sample of your water somewhere for testing, or your local water cleaning facility may have that information. I would start by calling the people who provide your water (the ones who also provide you with the bill) and asking them if they know what the PPM is, or know where you could get it tested.
    I'm have no clue either. Yeah sure i could give them a call and check that. Do you mean Parts per million?
    Thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast