What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice on my N.Aristolochioides Black pitcher's.

So i have really tried to find some post about this and asked if anybody seems to know. So if am double posting let me know and i will delete this.

Had my N. Aristolochioides for about 2 month now. I'm totally new to this.
The new pitcher that are coming out are black and look like they are ill. Cant find that this is common. Correct me if i'm wrong.

ajmjyx.jpg

2znriiw.jpg

Thanks for answer.

Unfortunately, your plant looks a bit stressed, your night temps are probably not cold enough. Keep in mind aristo is definitely not a good beginners plant because it's very unforgiving of mistakes.

Also, your soil looks extremely wet for aristo, it can rot easily with that combo of warm temps and soggy soil.

I can fix lower temps at night. I know it's not the first thing to start with. Just fell in love with it in the first sight. Thought i give it a chance.
As for it looks so wet is duo to i just sprayed it. I used to spray water it twice a day. I don't use any nutrition either. Haven't really fond what would fit it best.
Thank you very much for taking the time. Very grateful.

What are your current temperatures?

I've had a Nep do that to me, and it was a result of too much water. Your media looks great (although really, really wet) but I'm noticing some blackened tips on the Live LFS, too.

So, silly question -- what type of water are you using? Reverse Osmosis? Distilled? Collected Rain Water?

What kind of pot is it in? It looks fine, but it brings me back to too much water -- does it have drain holes? Are you keeping it in a saucer or tray?

I currently run is by 22c both day and night. (About 70 Fahrenheit). other info, It get about 5 hour sunlight per day. . (Medium, pine bark, small stones mixed with perlit and living Sphagnum. 1.1.1.1)

Yeah your temps are completely wrong unfortunately, aristo needs night temps into the mid 50s to really thrive. I have seen some aristos grow in warmer temps but I am assuming you have a BE clone and that one is very tough. Nepenthes in general need a temperature drop of 10 degrees or more and the species you chose is one of the least forgiving of warm temps.

I've had a Nep do that to me, and it was a result of too much water. Your media looks great (although really, really wet) but I'm noticing some blackened tips on the Live LFS, too.

So, silly question -- what type of water are you using? Reverse Osmosis? Distilled? Collected Rain Water?

What kind of pot is it in? It looks fine, but it brings me back to too much water -- does it have drain holes? Are you keeping it in a saucer or tray?

Duo to i live in Sweden we have perfectly drinkable water in the tap. So i use that.
The pot is of ceramic and has no drain hole or what so ever. It just looks good. I haven't had any experience of neps so i have just read little tips here and there. So that's why i don't have optimal condition.

Yeah your temps are completely wrong unfortunately, aristo needs night temps into the mid 50s to really thrive. I have seen some aristos grow in warmer temps but I am assuming you have a BE clone and that one is very tough. Nepenthes in general need a temperature drop of 10 degrees or more and the species you chose is one of the least forgiving of warm temps.

Okey i see. I can fix 50F at night. I really don't know if it's a BE clone thou.
What temperatures do you recommend during day?
I will at least try to save it.

temps of mid 70s during the day and low 50s at night is ideal, the issue is that it is very difficult to maintain around 50f at night for the whole night every single day.

temps of mid 70s during the day and low 50s at night is ideal, the issue is that it is very difficult to maintain around 50f at night for the whole night every single day.

Okey. I can manege that i think. Just about 10 Hours at 50F will do right at night? I'm about to build my own indoor grown house inside soon. Think it will be much easier then. But till then i have an AC machine and a small room. Do i need any special nutrition to my plant?
Thanks for all the good reply's so far.

Duo to i live in Sweden we have perfectly drinkable water in the tap. So i use that.
The pot is of ceramic and has no drain hole or what so ever. It just looks good. I haven't had any experience of neps so i have just read little tips here and there. So that's why i don't have optimal condition.

These two worry me a lot. I am not very experienced with Neps, and have never grown this special one, but I think these two things might be a problem.

How good is the drinking water in Sweden? Remember that carnivorous plants need really, really pure water. My water is perfectly drinkable as well, but it would kill my plants very quickly if I used it without running it through my Reverse Osmosis filter. You may need to switch to distilled water temporarily, or test your water and see how pure it really is.

Neps really, really hate being in standing water, which is why most people keep them in pots that drain very fast. Mine was turning black like yours until I used plastic to push the pot up a bit in it's tray, so it doesn't get as wet as the rest of them.

Growing them in an undrained ceramic container is possible, but you will have to be very very careful about the water. What I would do if I absolutely did not want to repot them, and was not sure about the water, is I would flood the pot, then tip it on it's side and pour the water out, gently, until I could not pour any more out. This will leave the media very very damp, but it will not have much standing water, if any. Then, I would simply repeat this process every few days.

Alternately, you could put the plant in a plastic pot, and keep that plastic pot inside the ceramic pot. You would then just take the plastic pot out to water, and put it back in after it had drained a bit. Basically, you would use the ceramic pot as a giant saucer or tray.

Maybe someone with more experience than me can step in here and give a better answer. I'm really worried about tap water and undrained containers...

Last edited:
There MUST BE a day/night temperature differential of at least 15F for this species. 50F at night and 75F in the day is ideal. The pot MUST have drain holes or the roots will rot very quickly. Fix these two issues and you might get it into shape. It would be a good idea to find out what the mineral content of your drinking water is (find out what the dissolved minerals actually are, and what PPM concentration) rather than just assuming.

As Luca has stated, this is likely the Borneo Exotics aristolochioides*, which is known for being very fussy and intolerant of inappropriate climate conditions.

*This is the most common clone in commerce.

Last edited:
Just because the Tap water is drinkable does not mean it is CP safe. People can handle small amounts of calcium, lime, iron, fluorida, chlorine, and even arsenic and other stuff in our water. CP's can't.

Distilled water may be available at your local grocery store. If not, you can collect rainwater, or use a reverse osmosis filter to remove the other stuff from your tap water to make it CP safe.

These two worry me a lot. I am not very experienced with Neps, and have never grown this special one, but I think these two things might be a problem.

How good is the drinking water in Sweden? Remember that carnivorous plants need really, really pure water. My water is perfectly drinkable as well, but it would kill my plants very quickly if I used it without running it through my Reverse Osmosis filter. You may need to switch to distilled water temporarily, or test your water and see how pure it really is.

Neps really, really hate being in standing water, which is why most people keep them in pots that drain very fast. Mine was turning black like yours until I used plastic to push the pot up a bit in it's tray, so it doesn't get as wet as the rest of them.

Growing them in an undrained ceramic container is possible, but you will have to be very very careful about the water. What I would do if I absolutely did not want to repot them, and was not sure about the water, is I would flood the pot, then tip it on it's side and pour the water out, gently, until I could not pour any more out. This will leave the media very very damp, but it will not have much standing water, if any. Then, I would simply repeat this process every few days.

Alternately, you could put the plant in a plastic pot, and keep that plastic pot inside the ceramic pot. You would then just take the plastic pot out to water, and put it back in after it had drained a bit. Basically, you would use the ceramic pot as a giant saucer or tray.

Maybe someone with more experience than me can step in here and give a better answer. I'm really worried about tap water and undrained containers...

It's some of the best water in the world(that i read). In Sweden we have laws for sorting and recycling. So the purity it's absolutely top. I can try distilled water! I'm all open for new methods!
I have plastic pots with drain witch i could use in my main pot. I can replant it when i get home from work! Do i need to flush the plant even thou I replant it with the plastic?
Thank you much for taking time.

Claims of "water purity" are frequently bogus, as the term "pure" is broad and undefined. Be on the safe side, and use Distilled, Rainwater or Reverse osmosis water.

It's very difficult to get a room down to 50f for the whole night with just an air conditioner, in order to grow these highland plants you must have a specific set-up designed for the purpose of giving them the exact conditions they require. A lot of beginner nurseries like to advertise that you can easily grow carnivorous plants on a windowsill but in reality that simply isn't true for some species (unless your windowsill coincidentally has the right conditions for HL neps.)

There MUST BE a day/night temperature differential of at least 15F for this species. 50F at night and 75F in the day is ideal. The pot MUST have drain holes or the roots will rot very quickly. Fix these two issues and you might get it into shape. It would be a good idea to find out what the mineral content of your drinking water is (find out what the dissolved minerals actually are, and what PPM concentration) rather than just assuming.

As Luca has stated, this is likely the Borneo Exotics aristolochioides*, which is known for being very fussy and intolerant of inappropriate climate conditions.

*This is the most common clone in commerce.

I can arrange the temperature differences! And i will replant in my plastic pot today. How do i measure ppm? At witch level it's the most optimal? I have i PH meter. Sorry for my unknowing.
I really hope it will live trough this! Thank you a good reply.

Claims of "water purity" are frequently bogus, as the term "pure" is broad and undefined. Be on the safe side, and use Distilled, Rainwater or Reverse osmosis water.

Yeah you are right. I will buy distilled water today and try it out! Thanks.

Back