What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider living in my pitcher

Well, i think i can confirm he plans to become a permanent resident. He has been here for two days and I don't see a web. Hopefully, I'll see him again tomorrow.

I tried shaking him and he just won't leave, seems pretty determined. What's funny is he def knows where the water level is in the pitcher. He even climbed up as I tilted the pitcher to drown him. He climbed up a little, and then climbed back down.

IMG_1569_zps07e0ebbe.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, can't be sure but looks like a jumping spider. Interesting. Wouldn't have expected one of those (assuming I'm correct) to set up shop there.

well...... as of now, who knows. I accidentally ruined his web the first time I saw him. I really hope he stays :)

Spiders like setting up shop by carnivorous plants. After all, spiders don't have a natural lure for their prey like CPs do, so they take notice of the extra bugs

Dragon, I think youre right. It definTely looks like a jumping spider. I wouldnt be surprised.
Jumping spiders hunt their prey or ambush. Living in a pitcher would be the perfect house for one.

I've got one in my sanguinae too. The pitchers would actually get more food than normal with a jumper than normal. Because the spider will leave the pitcher to hunt for food, it won't eat things that fall in normally. Then, when spider comes back from a hunt, he poops, and pitcher gets nitrogen from that.

Back